Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 19 March 2020

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 16:45:22 -0400

Tools Team Report -- 19 March 2020

1. Datatracker Projects
   - See https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/trunk/PLAN
     -- Raised the priority for the transition to Django 2.0.
   - A contract for Meeting Application Improvements was awarded to
     IOLA.  The work related to the user interface is underway, and
     IOLA is making good progress.  IOLA is expected to complete in the
     next few weeks.
   - A contract for the first part of the automated meeting schedule
     generation was awarded to DashCare, and the work is essentially
     finished.  The tools team is starting work on the RFP for the
     second part of the project, which is the schedule building.
   - Contracts for Tools Maintenance and Minor Tools Enhancements were
     awarded to Elf Tools and Painless Security, respectively.  In both
     cases work is going well.
   - Investigating how to measure datatracker performance.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - The search at www.ietf.org now provide additional pointers to the
     Datatracker search and the Mail Archive search.
   - As part of the recent server upgrade, Mail Archive was moved to
     Python3 and all third-party resource references were removed.
   - Investigating the use of CodiMD instead of Etherpad.  Also looking
     at the process that should be used in making such decisions.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - One document is blocked on a bug in xml2rfc; the priority of the
     issue was increased, and a solution is expected quickly.
   - The Tools Team developed a Statement of Work for a security review
     of the tools used by the RFC Production Center.  An award was made
     to ZX Security.  A kick-off teleconference will take place soon.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - All IETF services were transitioned to a new virtual server group
     on 22 February 2020.  The few services that are still using Python2
     are now running in containers.  Apache is using Python3.
   - IETF Wagtail website is currently running in a container; there are
     discussions about putting it on a dedicated virtual machine.
   - A major revision to the IETF Wagtail website simplifies many of the
     models; this is part of the transition to the current version of
     Wagtail.
   - The custom DMARC-handling software was deployed for all mail lists
     in June 2018. A design team was formed to investigate how to
     handle DMARC and the datatracker-managed email aliases.
   - Investigating the use of nginx instead of mod_wsgi.

5. YANG Catalog
   - A development copy of YANGcatalog.org is running in a container. We
     expect deployment of the containerized version later this year.
   - PANTHEON.tech handles YANG Catalog maintenance under contract.