Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 11 February 2020

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:42:44 -0500

Tools Team Report -- 11 February 2020

1. Datatracker Projects
   - The plan has seen a few significant updates in the last week:
     -- https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/trunk/PLAN
     -- Increased the priority of capturing a record of all email
        sent from the Datatracker.
     -- Raised the priority for the transition to Django 2.0.
   - A contract for Meeting Application Improvements was awarded to
     IOLA.  The work related to the database models is complete and
     deployed; the works related to the user interface is underway,
     and it is expected to complete in the next few weeks.
   - A contract for the first part of the automated meeting schedule
     generation was awarded to DashCare, and work is underway.  This
     is the first part of a bigger project; this part will provide
     better models for conflicts that have previously been captured
     as lore or text comments.  This part of the project is expected to
     complete in the by the end of February 2020.
   - Contracts for Tools Maintenance and Minor Tools Enhancements were
     awarded to Elf Tools and Painless Security, respectively.  In both
     cases, work is underway.  Painless Security was give three initial
     tasks to familiarize them with the Datatracker code, and two have
     been completed. Painless Security will also be learning the code
     for other tools; they have begun a minor enhancement to the IETF
     website.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - Matomo has been integrated with the IETF Wagtail website, and it
     is collecting the desired analytics.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - One document is blocked on a bug in xml2rfc; the fix will be posted
     this week.
   - The Tools Team developed a Statement of Work for a security review
     of the tools used by the RFC Production Center, and the IETF LLC
     released the RFP in the first week of February 2020.  The Tools
     Team will assist with the evaluation of bids, which a due on
     4 March 2020.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - We plan to transition all IETF services to a new virtual server
     group on 24 February 2020, which was previously attempted on
     27 January 2020.  The reasons for the failed transition have been
     found in the Datatracker scripts, and they have been resolved.
     This transition will move us to the latest releases for the
     operating system, Python, and other software.
   - A minor release is planned this week to the IETF Wagtail website
     to fix an issue with previewing pages by authors.
   - A major revision to the IETF Wagtail website is planned for later
     this month to remove a previous broken attempt at Datatracker
     integration and simplify many of the models in preparation for
     transition to the current version of Wagtail.
   - The custom DMARC-handling software was deployed for all mail lists
     in June 2018.  This custom software seems to be a better fit for
     the IETF than OpenARC.  However, the custom software does not
     support the Internet-Draft and leadership email aliases.  Once the
     virtual server upgrade is complete, we will investigate how to
     handle these email aliases.

5. YANG Catalog
   - Current focus is to better support the posting of YANG modules by
     other SDOs.
   - A sandbox of the YANGcatalog.org is running in a container.  We
     expect deployment of the containerized version later this year.
   - A contract for YANG Catalog  Maintenance by PANTHEON.tech is
     underway.