Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 14 January 2020

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:23:13 -0500

Tools Team Report -- 14 January 2020

1. Datatracker Projects
   - The plan has seen very few updates in the last few months:
     -- https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/trunk/PLAN
   - A contract for Meeting Application Improvements was awarded to
     IOLA.  The work related to the database models is complete and
     deployed; the works related to the user interface is expected to
     complete in the next few weeks.
   - A contract for the first part of the automated meeting schedule
     generation was awarded to DashCare, and work is underway.  This
     is the first part of a bigger project; this part will provide
     better models for conflicts that have previously been captured
     as lore or text comments.
   - A contract for IRSG balloting was awarded to AKAYLA.  Work was
     finished in December 2019, and it has been deployed.
   - A contract for the Datatracker Review Tool was awarded to
     DashCare.  Work was finished in December 2019, and it has been
     deployed.
   - Contracts for Tools Maintenance and Minor Tools Enhancements were
     awarded to Elf Tools and Painless Security, respectively.  These
     contracts provide coverage for all of 2020.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - A prototyping server for the IETF web site now includes Matomo,
     and it has been integrated with our Wagtail website.  It is ready
     for production, and it is collecting the desired analytics.  The
     updated privacy policy has been announced to the community, so the
     analytics capability will be deployed soon.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - The server used by the RFC Production Center needs to be upgraded
     to Python 3.6 to resolve a problem with one of the libraries used to
     produce the PDF files.  This will be quickly resolved by the
     Secretariat.
   - The Tools Team developed a Statement of Work for a security review
     of the tools used by the RFC Production Center, and the IETF LLC
     used it as part of an RFP.  The RFP did not result in an award.
     The IETF LLC Executive Director will re-issue the RFP later this
     month or early February.  Obviously, this means that the work will
     take place later than originally planned.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - We plan to transition all IETF services to a new virtual server
     group in late January 2020, which will move us to the latest
     operating system release, Python, and other software.
   - The custom DMARC-handling software was deployed for all mail lists
     in June 2018.  This software seems to be a better fit for the IETF
     than OpenARC.  This software does not support the Internet-Draft
     and leadership email aliases.  Once the virtual server upgrade is
     complete, we will investigate how to handle the email aliases.

5. YANG Catalog
   - Current focus it to better support the posting of YANG modules by
     other SDOs.
   - A sandbox of the YANGcatalog.org is running in a container.  We
     expect deployment of the containerized version later this year.
   - A contract for YANG Catalog  Maintenance was awarded to
     PANTHEON.tech.  The contract provide coverage for all of 2020.