Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 30 March 2019

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 12:04:25 -0400

Tools Team Report -- 30 March 2019

1. Datatracker Projects
   - The merge plan was recently updated.
     -- See http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
     -- The way the datatracker sends email was changed so that it
        will no longer appear to be spoofing the From field.
     -- Bids for Meeting Application Improvements were received and
        evaluated.  A recommendation was provided to the Interim
        LLC Executive Director, and we believe that negotiations are
        underway.
     -- one thing to highlight is the increased the priority of the
        shift from Python 2 to Python 3. This increased priority is
        because Python 2 is being officially deprecated, and it will
        no longer receive maintenance starting January 2020.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - The Secretariat is blocked on deploying this latest website
     deliverable from Torchbox.  Currently, the IETF server uses
     Apache (mod_wsgi) for python applications, but that only allows
     one version of python.  The Datatracker and and Mail Archive use
     Python 2.7, but the current Wagtail release only supports
     Python 3.  Robert Sparks is working with the Secretariat to figure
     out a reasonable way for Python 2 and Python 3 to be used at the
     same time.  The plan is to eventually move everything to Python 3,
     but it will not happen in just a few weeks.
     
3. RFC Services Projects
   - Support for the v3 schema was enabled for I-D submission during
     IETF 104.  The IESG needs to make a policy decision about when I-D
     in this format can be submitted to the IESG for publication on the
     IETF stream.
   - The RFC Production Center is testing the tools related to the new
     format.  A few additions are being made to IDnits under warranty.
     Since the RFC Production Center does not use IDnits, this is not
     impacting the test schedule.
   - The Tools Team is working on a Statement of Work for the security
     review of tools used by the RFC Production Center.  The tools used
     for the new format will be reviewed since the ones related to the
     old format are about to be put in mothballs.
   - The Tools Team is working on a Statement of Work for rendering of
     errata in a more useful way.  Some prototype efforts are informing
     this work.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - The custom DMARC-handling software was deployed for all mail lists
     in June 2018, but there is a desire to move away from the custom
     software to ARC.  The ARC software cannot be configured to handle
     just a few of our mail lists.  Requirements were provided to the
     ARC developers, but so far, they have not offered a release date.
     Alexey continues to try to get a response from the ARC developers,
     but so far we are only getting silence.

5. YANG Catalog
   - Planning for the operation of the yangcatalog.org to be transferred
     to the IETF Secretariat is underway.  A few significant things to
     highlight:
     -- The YANG Catalog support contractor participated in the IETF 104
        Hackathon.
     -- The yangcatalog.org service will run on different hardware than
        ietf.org.  It will be "in the cloud."  This will allow the Tools
        Team to determine whether this is a useful management model for
        other IETF-related services.
   - The registration for yangcatalog.com needs to be transferred to the
     IETF Trust before the site can move to a Tools-Team-driven
     maintenance model.  The domain name registrar account will be
     transfered to the Secretariat in early April 2019.