Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 18 January 2019

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 17:56:17 -0500

Tools Team Report -- 18 January 2019

1. Datatracker Projects
   - The merge plan was recently updated.
     -- See http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
     -- One thing to highlight is that we will be generating bibxml in
        the datatracker in order to move away from the TCL code that is
        getting very difficult to maintain.
     -- Another thing to highlight is that we need to move away from
        Bower since it is no longer being maintained.
   - A Statement of Work for enhancements to the Datatracker meeting
     scheduling tool is being developed.  We expect to put it out for
     bids in early 2019.
   - More that 1100 old RFCs show no authors in the Datatracker.  This
     situation is because Datatracker is managing workflow, not trying
     to provide history from the beginning of time.  The Tools Team
     talked about ways to crowd source this information, but the tooling
     to allow people with Datatracker accounts enter the author data is
     likely to be too much work.  It is more effort than a Codesprint.
     As a result, a disclaimer will be added to statistics pages, like:
     https://datatracker.ietf.org/stats/document/authors/?type=rfc.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - The Tools Team is working to discontinue MHonArc email archives.
     This allows all of the mail-related tools to work from one copy of
     the archives in maildir format.  The MHonArc archives were turned
     off on Monday, 14 January 2019, and there was little fuss from the
     community.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - We have received all six of the RFC Format deliverables (IDnits,
     Publication Formatter, Text Submission, RFClint, SVGcheck, and
     XMLdiff).  Testing is underway by the RFC Production Center.  A
     few additions are being made to IDnits under warranty.  Since the
     RFC Production Center does not use IDnits, these additions are not
     impacting the test schedule.
   - The Tools Team is working on a Statement of Work for the security
     review of tools used by the RFC Production Center.  This review is
     an important step toward making these tools open source.
   - The Tools Team is working on a Statement of Work for rendering of
     errata in a more useful way.  Some prototype efforts are informing
     this work.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - The custom DMARC-handling software was deployed for all mail lists
     in June 2018, but there is a desire to move away from the custom
     software to ARC.  The ARC software cannot be configured to handle
     just a few of our mail lists.  Requirements were provided to the
     ARC developers, but so far, they have not offered a release date.
     Alexey trying to help us get a response from the ARC developers.

5. YANG Catalog
   - Planning for the operation of the yangcatalog.org to be transferred
     to the IETF Secretariat is underway.  The Tools Team is working on
     a Statement of Work to assist with the transition and add features
     based on the yandvalidator open source.
     -- The registration for yangcatalog.com needs to be transferred to
        the IETF Trust before the site can move to a Tools-Team-driven
        maintenance model.