Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] IE 8 and mailarchive

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 13:38:27 -0600

So the mailarchive site is not currently logging the user agent string. 
I've asked Glen if it can be made to do so, and we can give an answer 
for that site in a week or so.

Using the datatracker as a weak proxy, and as far as user agent strings 
are useful for anything, about 1.2% of the requests to the datatracker 
for the last week are from IE 8.

Note, however that 25.8% of the requests appear to come from IE 6. I'm 
guessing that's a set of bots, and not human users, but maybe someone 
more practiced in reading these strings can help analyze it.

You can see in the graphical stats for November for the datatracker at 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/usagedata/usage_201811.html#TOPAGENTS> 
that whatever is claiming to be IE6 is still the top hitter, but IE 8 is 
somewhere below .78% for that month.

(Yes, IE claims to be Mozilla - you have to read the stuff in parenthesis)

RjS

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 21:14:24 +0100

> more practiced in reading these strings can help analyze it.

I had a look, and almost all those IE 6 accesses are ~10 bots scanning for
a file named GXHLGSL.txt.  Looking at the remaining accesses, there are
0.32% of the accesses where the client claiming to be IE 6.0, which seems
more likely.

> (Yes, IE claims to be Mozilla - you have to read the stuff in parenthesis)

	Henrik