Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Helping the mentoring project with making matches

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 16:31:49 -0600

I had a conversation today with Wes Hardaker to go over what the 
mentoring team is looking for to help with matching guides to participants.

The minimal set of information is simpler than what's in ticket 2622.

My gut reaction is that a simple standalone django application would 
work (and could be constructed keeping gdpr compliance in mind), and 
could be built with volunteer effort. If we were to create such a thing, 
do you think there would be any issues with finding a place to host it 
under ietf.org?

fwiw - I continue to think that this particular bit of survey-like 
behavior shouldn't be bound to the registration system. I can see where 
adding the ability to add meeting-specific survey questions could be 
useful though.

RjS

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 16:01:08 -0800

Hi Robert,

> On Dec 12, 2018, at 2:31 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I had a conversation today with Wes Hardaker to go over what the mentoring team is looking for to help with matching guides to participants.
> 

Could you elaborate on what that minimal set is?

Also, given the subject line, is functionality to actually make the matches part of the minimal set?

Alissa

> 
> My gut reaction is that a simple standalone django application would work (and could be constructed keeping gdpr compliance in mind), and could be built with volunteer effort. If we were to create such a thing, do you think there would be any issues with finding a place to host it under ietf.org?
> 
> fwiw - I continue to think that this particular bit of survey-like behavior shouldn't be bound to the registration system. I can see where adding the ability to add meeting-specific survey questions could be useful though.
> 
> RjS
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 09:53:12 -0600

> Also, given the subject line, is functionality to actually make the matches part of the minimal set?

Answering the second question first: No, this initial effort wouldn't 
programmatically make matches. From the conversation, that's still 
something a human needs to do. But it could suggest likely matches for 
the person making matches, and it could _definitely_ present the 
candidates for matches in a form that's easier for that person to 
process than the spreadsheets that have been used to date.

For the first question - this is my understanding of what's needed to 
make the matches (I expect this would be tweaked during construction):

A) Guide Resources:

     * Meeting (i.e. which ietf meeting is the record for)

     * Name

     * Email address

     * Affiliation

     * Country of residence

     * Preferred languages

     * What genders of participants is the guide comfortable working with

     * What IETF technical topics / areas is the guide strong in

     * How many IETF meetings the guide has attended in person

B) Participants

     * Meeting

     * Name

     * Email address

     * Affiliation

     * Country of residence

     * Preferred languages

     * What genders of guides is the participant comfortable working with

     * What IETF technical topics / areas is the participant interested in

     * How many IETF meetings has the participant attended in person