Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call Agenda -- 4 December 2018 at 1:00 Eastern

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 17:48:08 -0500

Tools Call Agenda -- 4 December 2018 at 1:00 Eastern

JOIN WEBEX MEETING
https://ietf.webex.com/ietf/j.php?MTID=m440dd848726339c03e605b9956e38bac
Meeting number (access code): 640 103 570
Meeting password: tools

JOIN BY PHONE
1-877-668-4493 Call-in toll free number (US/Canada) 
1-650-479-3208 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Meeting number (access code): 640 103 570
Meeting password: tools

1. Datatracker Projects
   - Expected Datatracker Releases -- Robert and Henrik
     -- http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan

2. Community & Other Projects
   - Discontinue MonArch email archives -- Robert and Ryan

3. RFC Services Projects
   - RFC Format Contracts -- Heather and Robert
     -- IDnits
     -- Publication Formatter
     -- Text Submission
     -- RFClint
     -- SVGcheck
     -- XMLdiff

4. Server Infrastructure
   - IESG discussions of DMARC -- Henrik and Alexey
     -- Is there any status on ARC?

5. YANG Catalog
   - Progress on Feature Additions -- Eric
   - Gathering Requirements for Future Additions -- Eric
   - Transfer yangcatalog.org to the IETF Trust -- Eric

6. Parking Lot
   - Prepare the RFC Production Center code for publication

7. AOB

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 19:20:57 +0000

Russ and others,

I will be in the Paris underground system at 1 PM EST... so impossible to join the call :-(

On the technical aspects, https://yang.amsl.com has the basic static contents and I am still working on migrating the dynamic parts.

Portia is looking at the license things.

About the SoW, please find attached a PDF for a draft version of it. Unsure about the exact words to be used in a SoW for the IETF but the ideas are there. Comments are welcome (we can have a specific call if required)

Hope this helps, have a fruitful call

-éric

On 02/12/2018, 23:48, "TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT on behalf of Russ Housley" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    JOIN WEBEX MEETING
    
    JOIN BY PHONE

    1. Datatracker Projects

    3. RFC Services Projects
    
    4. Server Infrastructure
    
    5. YANG Catalog
    
    6. Parking Lot
    
    7. AOB
    
    _______________________________________________
    TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 14:38:50 -0600

Notes to help with efficiency on the call:

>       -- http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan

There was an issue related to the gdpr deletions that required careful 
reconstruction of some data, and the most recent release adds two 
management commands to make that kind of reconstruction easier going 
forward.

Before the issue was addressed, Stewart Bryant asked why we had so many 
RFCs showing 0 authors on ietf general (at the time he saw 1929 such 
RFCs). That number is still large post repair at 1158. This is because 
the purpose of the datatracker's dataset was not initially to provide 
correct history to the beginning of time. The state of what the 
datatracker knows for authors is poor for RFCs before about RFC 3000. 
Curating that data into something we believe is correct will be 
manual-labor intensive, and there will be a large number of cases where 
there is not going to be a right answer for who to list as authors. See 
RFC2319 and RFC2134 for examples. We have known about this for some 
time, and working to improve it has not been prioritized. Perhaps the 
exposure of the data through the statistics should make it a higher 
priority, or perhaps not. Making sure the datatracker assists with the 
current workflows is, in my opinion, more important to focus on. But, as 
long as the data is imprecise, we should probably _say_ somewhere on the 
statistics pages that we know data is imprecise for older documents.

This same problem exists for old drafts, and addressing that will be 
_much_ more difficult.

>     - Discontinue MonArch email archives -- Robert and Ryan

Since the second announcement of intent to discontinue the mhonarc 
archives sent Nov 26, we've received three notable bits of feedback.

1) The mailarch application serves the plaintext version of a message 
archived in multipart mime. Sometimes quoting in the plaintext version 
is broken when the html version is not. We could discuss serving a 
cleaned HTML version, but note that mhonarc itself pushed a new release 
recently to deal with security issues in their HTML rendering (their 
solution was to render the plaintext version instead). (Benjamin Kaduk)

2) We have a report that rendering in IE8 is not what is expected (Tom 
Petch)

3) It was noted that you can export messages in maildir or mbox so that 
you can look at whatever multipart piece you wished, or to process the 
messages in a way that avoided screen-scraping the HTML the mailarch 
application provides, but we currently only allow exporting when you are 
logged in (a restriction we have in place now due to concern of the 
performance hits of multiple anonymous large exports). Making it 
possible to export a small number of messages without being logged in 
might be worthwhile (Rich Salz and Daniel Kahn Gillmor)

>     - RFC Format Contracts -- Heather and Robert
I don't think there's anything new to report here since the call two 
weeks ago.
>     - Prepare the RFC Production Center code for publication
I sent a draft SoW for improvements to the meeting application out at 
the end of last week. It would be good to get reviews, especially from 
the secretariat.

---

From: Ryan Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 14:56:26 -0800

My apologies.  I will be in transit at the time of this call and unable to join.

- Ryan 

> On Dec 2, 2018, at 2:48 PM, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:01:46 -0800

Apologies as well.  The ISOC InterCommunity event is at the same time as the call.

Bob

> On Dec 3, 2018, at 2:56 PM, Ryan Cross <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 16:00:47 -0800

AMS has a companywide offsite meeting tomorrow; I therefore suspect
that (almost) everyone at AMS will not be on this call.

Our collective apologies for the miss.

The odds are that I will not be at the AMS event, in which case I will
be on the call.  But the rest of AMS will likely not make the call.

Glen

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 22:38:54 -0800

I will be in transit to the AMS offsite during the call, but I plan to join as much of it as I can.

Alexa

> On Dec 3, 2018, at 4:00 PM, Glen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Heather Flanagan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:22:18 +0000

And regrets from me as well. I’m at the STM Publishers meeting in London this week. I’ve no updates re: the format tools.

-Heather

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 4, 2018, at 06:38, Alexa Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 03:55:58 -0800

I am on travel and cannot attend,

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 2:22 AM Heather Flanagan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> And regrets from me as well. I’m at the STM Publishers meeting in London
> this week. I’ve no updates re: the format tools.
>
> -Heather
>
> Sent from my iPad
>

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 17:56:59 +0000

>      -- Is there any status on ARC?

I've pinged Seth Blank on this, he replied that he missed this email due to attending a conference. He said he will followup.