Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 27 November 2018

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 15:05:43 -0500

Tools Team Report -- 27 November 2018

1. Datatracker Projects
   - The merge plan was recently updated.
     -- See http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
     -- One thing to highlight is the recent addition that will allow
        documents to return to the IESG "I-D exists" state.   Currently,
        that is the lack of a state altogether, so once it moves to any
        other state is cannot return to the "I-D exists" state.  The
        "I-D exists" state will essentially become a real state.
   - GDPR Compliance -- Datatracker account information that did not fall
     under Legitimate Interest and did not obtain an opt-in has been
     removed.  The script that did the removal was "over-eager", and it
     removed some document-related information as well.  On November 26th,
     that information was restored.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - The Tools Team is working to discontinue MHonArc email archives.
     This will allow all of the mail-related tools to work from one
     copy of the archives in maildir format.  A mail list discussion on
     the removal of the MHonArc email archives was initiated with the
     community on November 26th.  If there are few objections, we will
     discontinue MHonArc in January 2019.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - RFC Format contracts are on schedule:
     -- IDnits
     -- Publication Formatter
     -- Text Submission
     -- RFClint
     -- SVGcheck
     -- XMLdiff
   - Initial versions of all of these will be done by the end of 2018.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - The custom DMARC-handling software was deployed for all mail lists
     in June.  We received very positive feedback from the community.
   - There is a desire to move away from the custom software to ARC, but
     the ARC software cannot be configured to handle just a few of our
     mail lists.  Henrik provided requirements to the ARC developers,
     but so far, they have not offered a release date.  Alexey offered
     to help get a response, but still no response.
   - Torchbox is upgrading the version of Wagtail from 1.12.1 to 2.2.2
     for www.ietf.org.  The upgrade was expected in October, then it was
     delayed until November.  This is being actively worked, but it will
     probably not complete until December.

5. YANG Catalog
   - Planning for the operation of the yangcatalog.org to be transferred
     to the IETF Secretariat is underway.  Money for the transition is
     part of the IETF LLC budget for 2019.  The current expectation is
     that will happen at the end of the year.
     -- The open source code for yangcatalog.com uses the Apache 2.0
        License.  All other projects use the  Simplified BSD License.
        The tools team needs to know if the IETF Trust is willing to
        process under the Apache 2.0 License.
     -- The registration for yangcatalog.com needs to be transferred to
        the IETF Trust before the site can move to a tools-team-driven
        maintenance model.
   - Requirements for new features are being gathered by Eric and
     Benoit.  So far, the desire to validate YANG modules in a manner
     similar to yangvalidator.org appears to be the top of the new
     feature list.

6. Other Business
   - The IMAP server code that is provided by ISODE does not handle
     changed usernames well.  When a person changed their username, the
     IMAP server noticed the change, but all saved IMAP state was lost.
     Changing the username back recovered the state.  Alexey has written
     a fix, but it has not been released yet.

6. Parking Lot
   - Prepare the RFC Production Center code for publication.
     -- Maybe this can get some attention when the six RFC Format tools
        are posted in an open source repository.