Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 30 October 2018

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:08:09 -0400

Tools Team Report -- 30 October 2018

1. Datatracker Projects
   - The merge plan was recently updated.
     -- See http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
     -- None of the upcoming activities are surprising or need extra
        coordination.
   - GDPR Compliance -- Two email messages for people to give consent
     for information in the datatracker went out, as planned.  Deletion
     of Datatracker accounts that have not provided opt-in is still
     pending, and it is expected to happen in early November.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - The Tools Team is working to discontinue MonArch email archives.
     This will allow all of the mail-related tools to work from one
     copy of the archives in maildir format.  So far, the responses from
     the community have been positive.  The distribution was expanded
     to include the IRSG.  Planning will begin shortly after IETF 103.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - RFC Format contracts are on schedule:
     -- IDnits
     -- Publication Formatter
     -- Text Submission
     -- RFClint
     -- SVGcheck
     -- XMLdiff
   - Release of xml2rfc 2.12.0 introduces the HTML formatter and the
     new v3 vocabulary.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - The custom DMARC-handling software was deployed for all mail lists
     in June.  We received very positive feedback from the community.
   - There is a desire to move away from the custom software to ARC, but
     the ARC software cannot be configured to handle just a few of our
     mail lists.  Henrik provided requirements to the ARC developers,
     but so far, they have not offered a release date.  Alexey offered
     to help get a response.
   - There are three updates to www.ietf.org underway with Torchbox.
     First, upgrade the version of Wagtail from 1.12.1 to 2.2.2 was
     expected in October, but it is delayed until November.  Second,
     changes to the home page display based on feedback received from
     the IETF community, which includes adding email archive search
     to the page, is complete.  Third, the addition of an RSS feed for
     the IETF Blog is expected to be complete by the end of October.

5. YANG Catalog
   - Final deliverables for the recent project to improve the YANG
     catalog are being completed.
   - Once those are finished, the operation of the yangcatalog.org will
     be transferred to the IETF Secretariat.  The current expectation is
     that will happen at the end of the year.  However, if we learn that
     more development is needed to facilitate the transition, it will
     wait for 2019, where the budget includes some funds for the YANG
     catalog.
   - Moving to a tools-team-driven model for maintenance of the YANG
     catalog in 2019.
   - Requirements for new features are being gathered by Eric and Benoit
     for future development efforts.

6. Other Business
   - The IESG decided to allow I-Ds with non-ascii characters in places
     other than names to be posted.
     -- Release of IDnits 2.16.0 implemented this policy change.
   - The IMAP server code that is provided by ISODE does not handle
     changed usernames well.  When a person changed their username, the
     IMAP server noticed the change, but all saved IMAP state was lost.
     Changing the username back recovered the state.  Alexey has written
     a fix, but it has not been released yet.

6. Parking Lot
   - Prepare the RFC Production Center code for publication.
     -- Maybe this can get some attention when the six RFC Format tools
        are posted in an open source repository.