Subject: Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Projects for 2019

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 06:26:09 -0700

Hi Russ,

Do you think you could describe some of these in more detail? I've marked
below the ones i don't recognize or wasn't able to infer...

-Ekr

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 9:42 AM Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is the list of projects that came from a brainstorm session between
> Robert and myself.  Basically, we went through our notes and collected the
> projects that were delayed since the RFC Format efforts consumed all of
> this year's budget.  Then, we divided the list into things that would best
> be done by volunteers and things that would best be contracted.
>
> Volunteer Projects:
>
> 1       Improve GitHub tools for authors
> 2       WG tracking of reviews
> 3       Allow non-chairs to upload slides
> 4       WG chair agenda support
>
> Contract Projects:
>
> 1       Rework the meeting scheduler
> 2       Improvements to mail archive tool
> 3       Wagtail and IETF website maintenance
> 4       IANA expert review tracking

***

> 5       Security review of RFC Editor toolsprior to open source
> 6       EDU team materials

***

>
> 7       IRSG agenda and ballots
> 8       Meetecho customization for IETF
>
***

> 9       Requirement for document review assistance
>
***

10      Automatic agenda builder
***

> 11      Transition yangcatalog.org
>
> Thanks,
>   Russ
>
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 11:52:41 -0400

I hope the few sentences help ...

Russ

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 9:26 AM, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Russ,
> 
> Do you think you could describe some of these in more detail? I've marked below the ones i don't recognize or wasn't able to infer...
> 
> -Ekr
> 
> 
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 9:42 AM Russ Housley <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> This is the list of projects that came from a brainstorm session between Robert and myself.  Basically, we went through our notes and collected the projects that were delayed since the RFC Format efforts consumed all of this year's budget.  Then, we divided the list into things that would best be done by volunteers and things that would best be contracted.
> 
> Volunteer Projects:
> 

Add capability to the Datatracker to know when a document needs IANA Expert Review for a codepoint assignment.

> 5       Security review of RFC Editor toolsprior to open source

EDU team materials posted in the Datatracker like other IETF meeting sessions.

> 8       Meetecho customization for IETF 

About two years ago, we asked WG chairs what needed to be done to run the meeting more smoothly and integrate the recordings in the proceedings.  It is time to follow up.  Based on hallway discussions, there are some ideas.

> 9       Requirement for document review assistance

This is a requirements effort.  Want to help WG chairs track who has agreed to review a document, and the follow up.

> 10      Automatic agenda builder

Build a strawman IETF meeting agenda from the WG chair requests.  It is too manual today.  Your recent feature request would be part of this effort.

> 11      Transition yangcatalog.org <http://yangcatalog.org/>
> 
> Thanks,
>   Russ
> 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 11:10:28 -0600

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 9:52 AM, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
And work with iana to determine how much they want to use the datatracker to track/capture those reviews. There are some older tickets related to this. Will send links when i have more than my phone to work through. 

> EDU team materials posted in the Datatracker like other IETF meeting sessions.

We made an attempt a few years ago to build a single place for the edu team to store developed presentations and other materials. See https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/edu. It hasnt been consistently used. It needs simplifying at least, and as Russ calls out, the workflow for ietf meetings probably needs to closer match the wg workflow.

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 09:47:16 -0500

As discussed on this weeks call, here is a version of the list we've been
discussing with a short description for each contract project. The 
descriptions
are informational, and intended only to assist with early 
prioritization. They are
not comprehensive. Each project will begin with the development of a 
statement
of work that would define the project more precisely. These are listed 
in priority
order in each section (the contract and volunteer sections are independent).

======================
- Contract Projects:

     - Rework the meeting scheduler
         The agenda editing tool will benefit from updates to improve
         the appearance and efficiency of the editor. Options for
         scheduling need to be more flexible than the current grid
         allows.

     - Transition operation of yangcatalog.org <http://yangcatalog.org>
       to the secretariat
         The recent push has the yangcatalog in a state that is easy to
         deploy. This project will initially identify and execute any
         additional development needed to allow the secretariat to take
         over operations. (At this time, little to no additional
         development is anticipated, though options about deployment
         technologies need to be considered).

     - Develop yangcatalog.org <http://yangcatalog.org> features
         Develop features have been deferred while working to get the
         catalog into a state that can be operated by the secretariat.
         Éric and Benoit are gathering a list of those features.

     - Improvements to mail archive tool
         This will focus initially on addressing any issues we have
         related to discontinuing Mhonarc, and then address requested
         enhancements.

     - Wagtail and IETF website maintenance
         There are shortcomings with the functionality of the website
         at the moment (such as allowing plain text files to be served
         easily), and with installation of updates.

     - IANA expert review tracking
         Work with IANA to determine what datatracker features would
         help identify which drafts have content needing expert review,
         and how the datatracker could help with tracking the progress
         of those reviews.

     - Security review of RFC Editor toolsprior to open source
         We plan to move the RFC Editor’s tools source to an open
         repository. Before doing so, we need to review the code for
         security vulnerabilities and adjust as necessary.

     - EDU team materials
         The Edu team manages materials used at, and sometimes between,
         IETF meetings, such as the Newcomer’s training decks. The
         “Materials” tab added to the datatracker view of the edu team
         (https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/edu/materials/) was added
         to help manage these materials, but has proven difficult for
         the team to use. This project will work with the team to
         identify a better mechanism (in the datatracker, or
         elsewhere).

     - IRSG agenda and ballots
         The IRSG would like to have a balloting system similar to the
         IESGs, and views to manage documents currently under ballot.
         See <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/ticket/2495>

     - Meetecho customization for IETF
         We have a backlog of features WG chairs have requested to run
         the meeting more smoothly. We have identified items needed to
         integrate the recordings in the proceedings.

     - Build requirements for document review assistance
         There have been periodic requests to build or find a system
         that would allow in-place markup of a draft for review, and to
         track resolution of comments made in that markup. This project
         would work with the community to develop a set of requirements
         for one or more ways to provide that functionality.

     - Automatic agenda builder
         The initial agenda used going into the conflict-resolution
         call is currently generated by hand. We started an effort with
         the last major improvement to the scheduling system to compute
         one or more good starting places. This project would revisit
         that idea.

- Volunteer Projects:

     - Transition ongoing maintenance of yangcatalog.org to the Tools team

     - Improve GitHub tools for authors

     - Allow non-chairs to upload slides

     - Allow Working Groups to track volunteer and assigned reviews, 
possibly
      reusing the tooling created for the directorates.

     - Provide tools to help working groups build meeting agendas (such as
       tracking agenda time requests, assisting with materials links, and
       building initial agenda text).