Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Draft of message to send re mailarch and mhonarc

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:44:29 -0500

Here is a proposed message to send at least to IETF general, if not to 
ietf-announce.

Thoughts on changes?

We made the datatracker-project@ alias recently. Should we create a 
mailarch-project@ alias for bug reports rather than using 
django-project@? (Or is there an even better address to use than those?).

--------

To: IETF Announce

Subject: Improvements to the mailarch tool, and plans to discontinue the 
mhonarc archives

There have been several improvements to the mailarch tool recently.

If you haven't already discovered it, please try out the new "Static Mode",
particularly if you frequently use the Mhonarc archives.

See, for example, 
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/static/ietf/2018-09/>.

To get this view by default when browsing lists, set "Static Mode On" in 
the
Settings menu at top right of the page.

Also note that the speed of searching a list, and searching across 
multiple lists
has been significantly improved. The use of whitespace and fonts have 
also been
adjusted.

We are continuing to work towards having a single copy of the archived
messages to manage that all the tools will serve. The bits shown by mailarch
are the same bits on disk used by the imap access to the archive.

In particular, we plan to discontinue the use of Mhonarc soon, likely 
between
IETF 103 and 104. When we make that change, all exising URLs into the 
Mhonarc
archives will redirect to the same message in mailarch as discussed in 
section
2.7 of RFC6778.

Please exercise the mailarch system. If you find issues, report them at
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/newticket> and choose the
"MailArchive: User Interface Component". Alternatively, you can send mail
to [email-masked].

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:08:32 -0700

All -

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:44 AM Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Should we create a mailarch-project@ alias for bug reports rather than using
> django-project@?

As the IT Director of the vendor who will ultimately receive these, my
vote would be YES PLEASE.

> (Or is there an even better address to use than those?).

I can't think of one.

> the Settings menu at top right of the page.

My feeble memory tells me that someone tripped over this before
because they were not logged in.  If my memory is correct, I'd
recommend adding a phrase to that effect (i.e., ".... top right of the
page, when you are logged in.") or whatever.

> When we make that change, all exising URLs into the Mhonarc
> section 2.7 of RFC6778.

Possibly orthogonal to your topic, but I'm curious as to the status of
this?  Has someone already worked out how to implement this?  (Since
it would probably fall to me to implement, just clarifying that I have
not given this any thought at all.)  Apologies if yes, or off point, I
just don't remember where this stands.

Best,
Glen

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:15:30 -0500

> page, when you are logged in.") or whatever.
We fixed that - it shows now if you are logged in or not,
> just don't remember where this stands.
It was implemented with the original project and has been tested again
recently to make sure the implementation has not suffered rot.
>
> Best,
> Glen
>
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 17:36:21 -0400

> are the same bits on disk used by the imap access to the archive.

This reads a bit awkwardly to me.  And, it misses one important point. I suggest:

We are working towards a single copy of the archived mail list messages. Currently,
mailarchive and IMAP work from the same files, but MonArch uses a separate
set of files in another format.

Russ

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 13:10:40 +0200

> django-project@? (Or is there an even better address to use than those?).

Sounds good to me, as does the message below.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 13:35:26 -0500

Here is a changed version capturing Russ' suggestion, and changing the 
email for reporting issues.
Is this ready to send?
Is now the right time to send it?

RjS

---
To: IETF Announce

See, for example, 

We are working towards a single copy of the archived mail list messages. 
Currently,
mailarch and IMAP work from the same files, but MonArch uses a separate 
set of files
in another format.

We plan to discontinue the use of Mhonarc soon, likely between IETF 103 
and 104.
When we make that change, all exising URLs into the Mhonarc archives 
will redirect
to the same message in mailarch as discussed in section 2.7 of RFC6778.

Please exercise the mailarch system. If you find issues, report them at
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/newticket> and choose the
"MailArchive: User Interface Component". Alternatively, you can send mail
to [email-masked].

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 18:01:27 -0400

Looks good to me.

Russ

> On Sep 25, 2018, at 2:35 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Here is a changed version capturing Russ' suggestion, and changing the email for reporting issues.
> Is this ready to send?
> Subject: Improvements to the mailarch tool, and plans to discontinue the mhonarc archives 
> 
> See, for example, <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/static/ietf/2018-09/> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/static/ietf/2018-09/>. 
> 
> To get this view by default when browsing lists, set "Static Mode On" in the 
> Also note that the speed of searching a list, and searching across multiple lists 
> has been significantly improved. The use of whitespace and fonts have also been 
> adjusted. 
> 
> mailarch and IMAP work from the same files, but MonArch uses a separate set of files
> in another format.
> 
> We plan to discontinue the use of Mhonarc soon, likely between IETF 103 and 104. 
> When we make that change, all exising URLs into the Mhonarc archives will redirect 
> <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/newticket> <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/newticket> and choose the 
> to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 00:03:48 +0200

Yup.

Best regards,

        Henrik

> On 26 Sep 2018, at 00:01, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Looks good to me.
> 
> Russ
> 
> 
>> See, for example, <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/static/ietf/2018-09/>. 
>>