Subject: Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Fwd: Notes from the format developers and doc authors meeting @ IETF 101

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 18:46:43 +0200

On 2018-04-09 19:29, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> ... > Henrik - one round on preptool is done. Started working on the text
> formatter, which informed more work needing to be done on preptool. The 
> preptool should contain the index if any and the ToC (if any) so the 
> formatter will work of the same information. Henrik will be generating a 
> list of all the issues/changes and using a script that creates both an 
> email and an issue in GitHub. If they need fixing, we expect to see what 
> the list says, and then Henrik will make a proposal for the change,and 
> then he and Paul will work on coordinating/accepting the associated PRs. 
> One PR per issue. For Henrik-generated changes, Paul will handle the PR 
> review and approval, and for Paul-generated changes, Henrik will handle 
> the PR review and approval.
> 
> Henrik will be proposing a new tag related to non-ASCII.

Any news here? Haven't seen any activity in github...

> Paul - will generate a new I-D as soon as the first handful of 7991-bis 
> issues have been dealt with. Paul will also handle curation of issues 
> and make sure people take discussions to the list.
> Julian - will update his sample draft to include SVG. Most of v3 to HTML 
> and most of v3 to PDF, v3 to EPUB, v3 to v2, and most of the preptool. 
> The sample doc includes examples with non-ASCII. Do need an XSLT2 
> processor and Java to run Julian’s tools. The v3 to v2 is to downconvert 
> the files he has so he can have TXT.

See <https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/v3test.xml#n-svg> -- 
I have converted one example to conforming SVG.

I also added code to 
<https://github.com/reschke/xml2rfc/blob/master/prep-xml2rfc.xslt> to 
strip non-conforming SVG (even converting @style to conforming 
attributes), but I have to say that the results aren't really satisfying 
even for very simple stuff. Played around with various flow chart 
generators that emit SVG, and the lack of markers for me is a showstopper.

(also, correction: the HTML formatter works with any XSLT engine, even 
in the browser, just open 
<<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/v3test.xml>).

> ...

Best regards, Julian