Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Better agenda support for meetings other than WG/RG group meetings during the IETF week

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 11:16:11 -0500

Some fodder for discussion between now and the tools call next week (10 
July),
and possibly during that call. Please read through this and share your
thoughts, particularly if you see an aspect that we need to consider, 
but I've
missed:

-----------------
Summary:

We have many non WG/RG things asking to be on the official agenda so that
people can find them.  The workaround we're currently using clutters the
week-view of the agenda and the customized ics files the datatracker makes
available for download.  Some of the meetings are starting to ask for the
ability to manage agendas, materials, and minutes. Not all of them are
appropriate for including in the IETF meeting proceedings.

We need to discuss what we will support, and prioritize when we will do the
work needed to support what we chose. That work will need to include some
significant model design.

We should also look for ways to help ensure that the appropriate approval
process is not shortcut as more people ask for this kind of support.

-----------------
A little more detail on some of that:

For several years, we have had requests to put non WG or RG things on the
agenda. Examples include:

* the newcomer's (and other) tutorials
* the IEPG meeting
* AD office hours for some subset of areas
* The WG chairs lunch

We've recently had a bloom of such things, adding

* many ANRW sessions
* the Systers lunch
* The Hackdemo Happy Hour

And I expect we'll eventually get requests to show things like the 
HotRFC sessions and the 3gpp/ietf coordination meeting.

Right now, we are hacking those things onto the agenda using a "non-session"
session type. You'll note the agenda for IETF 102 has these permanently 
showing on the customizable calendar. (Look at the graphical schedule at
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/agenda#art> for instance.) These also
can't currently be removed from the customized .ics files the 
datatracker provides.

We need to model these differently. Henrik has some initial thoughts about
reworking the way we hold Group attributes that would allow us to make
displaying the agenda more data-driven, letting us present tabs for 
different
classes of meeting type. This is likely a good path to pursue, but we 
will need
to be careful to preserve the agenda pages and, particularly, the 
proceedings
pages for previous meetings.

The Hackathon has been asking for agenda, materials, and minutes support for
several meetings. We've hacked around things to provide that. At this 
meeting,
the various ANRW sessions asked for similar support. I don't think we're
providing that this time. We should make it so that we can do so when it's
appropriate. We also need to be able to say what ends up in the IETF meeting
proceedings. (Should the ANRW materials show up in the IETF meeting
proceedings?)

----