Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 13 June 2018

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:29:08 -0400

Tools Team Report -- 13 June 2018

1. Datatracker Projects
   - The work on GDPR compliance delayed some of the other activities
     -- See http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
   - All of the user facing changes for GDPR Compliance have been
     deployed, and the management commands for removal of consent-
     based information will be completed in the next few days.
   - A small number of people need to give consent for information in
     the datatracker; this is mostly people that have biographic data
     but do not currently hold leadership positions.  These people will
     be sent an email next week asking for consent.  The email will
     include a link to their datatracker account page.  If they do not
     go to that page by 25 June 2018 (one month after the GDPR became
     effective), then the information that was not gathered from
     Internet-Drafts will be removed from the datatracker.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - The Tools Team is working to discontinue MonArch email archives.
     This will allow all of the mail-related tools to work from one
     copy of the archives in maildir format.  However, the community
     clearly still likes the speed offered by MonArch.  Changes to the
     Mail Archive Tool that use static pages greatly improve speed.
     These changes will be deployed by these steps:
       1) Enable mailarchive.ietf.org on Cloudflare;
       2) Change the name of the setting from "legacy" to "static";
       3) Deploy on the production servers; and
       4) Send not to the community.
   - Many mail lists did not have SPAM filters in place.  Last week,
     the Secretariat allied a SPAM setting to all of the lists that
     did not have one, and then sent instructions to the WG Chairs
     about making adjustments.  Going forward, newly created mail
     list will get the SPAM filter setting, and the list maintainer
     can adjust if they wish.
   - Secretariat removed over 30,000 SPAM messages from the archives.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - RFC Format contracts are on schedule:
     -- IDnits
     -- Publication Formatter
     -- Text Submission
     -- RFClint
     -- SVGcheck
     -- XMLdiff
   - The RFC Editor chose Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Tiny as the
     subset of SVG that is allowed in RFCs.  SVGcheck makes sure that
     the embedded graphic conforms to this subset.  It was recently
     discovered that some tools use markers for arrowheads, but markers
     are not part of the SVG Tiny specification produced by W3C.  The
     development will continue without allowing markers, and the RFC
     Editorwill revisit this issue if it becomes a problem for authors.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - The custom DMARC-handling software is deployed for all mail lists.
   - There is a desire to move away from the custom software to ARC.
     First, the ARC software will be installed on the sandbox, and
     then the Secretariat will determine whether it has the knobs to
     configure it for a few mail lists, but not all of them.  If so,
     they will run a test on the production server with ARC on a few
     volunteer mail lists.  If not, we will ask the ARC developers to
     add the needed knobs.

5. Other Business
   - The RFC Editor is conducting an experiment with GitHub for AUTH48.
     TLS 1.3 will be the first document in the experiment.
   - The web pages for the Tools Team need to be updated.  Work will
     begin on this effort in the next few days:
     -- https://www.ietf.org/about/grpups/tools
     -- https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/tools/about/

6. Parking Lot
   - Prepare the RFC Production Center code for publication.
     -- Maybe this can get some attention when the six RFC Format tools
        are posted in an open source repository.

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:05:44 -0500

Hi, Russ,

>     - Secretariat removed over 30,000 SPAM messages from the archives.
I appreciate this last item. I was looking through archives for some 
long-concluded working groups a couple of weeks ago, and was reminded of 
the Bad Old Days when we weren't filtering SPAM at all.

Spencer

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:08:16 -0400

Thanks Russ! Note for everyone else: since the TMC was dissolved I asked Russ to start sending these updates (which used to go the IAOC) to the IESG on the theory that more information-sharing is better.

Alissa

> On Jun 13, 2018, at 11:29 AM, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:17:11 +0200

On 2018-06-13 17:29, Russ Housley wrote:
> ...
> ...

Any news about the v3 publication formatter?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Greg Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:21:38 -0400

[-IESG]

>     -- https://www.ietf.org/about/grpups/tools
Nit: s/grpups/groups
>     -- https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/tools/about/

This is great! One thing to consider is what action visitors might take after coming to the page—go to another page, register for something, sign up to a mailing list, etc. (This will differ for IETF participants, potential participants, non-participants). There’s an option in Wagtail to add a “call to action” block at the bottom of pages. See the IETF Hackathon page as an example:

https://www.ietf.org/how/runningcode/hackathons/

The Code Sprint page might also deserve review:

https://www.ietf.org/how/runningcode/code-sprint/

We’ll have a photographer at IETF 102, so could capture photos.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help (especially on the www.ietf.org page(s)).

Thanks,
-Greg

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:32:24 +0200

> Any news about the v3 publication formatter?

I expect to do a release of the text formatter in one to two weeks.  I'm now
well into table layout, and then will do the Authors' Addresses parts, and
do the first xml2rfc release with the v3 text formatter.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:29:03 -0400

> On Jun 13, 2018, at 12:17 PM, Julian Reschke <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

The formatter for plain text will be available for testing by the end of June.

Russ