Subject: Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] OpenSuse 42.3 - IETF

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 12:17:00 -0700

Dear Tools Development Team -

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM, Glen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The current version of OpenSuse used by the ISOC ELIST servers, 42.2,
> has now reached end of life, and been replaced by a new version, 42.3.
> I would like to start the discussion about upgrading the IETF servers
> to this version.

I just wanted to take a moment to report back that the IETF server
upgrade to OpenSuse 42.3 has been completed.  It went better than
expected.  There was a 30 minute Mailman failure during which 9 emails
failed to process - I sent emails back to the senders asking them to
resend.  Apache had 2 minor expected interruptions of less than 5
minutes each.  And the ISODE IMAP server failed unexpectedly (and
silently - I was alerted by Pete Resnick) requiring a manual restart
of the ISODE processes.  Beyond that, it went off perfectly, and all
systems survived the upgrade without additional issue.  Many thanks to
Henrik, Matt and Ryan who were working with me while the upgrade ran.

And, just as kind of a universal slap in my face... just before I
started this upgrade this morning, I got an email from OpenSuse
announcing their *next* OS release, which just came out - OpenSuse
15.1.    (Yes, for some reason, they did s/14/42/ on their version
path.  Must be a Hitchhikers Guide thing.)  *sigh*  There's always
something.  But we'll wait a while to let that release mature before
we upgrade again.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions, or see any
problems going forward.  Thank you for your patience during this
process.

Glen