Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] SVG RFC _ should we allow Markers in SVG diagrams

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 10:20:34 +1200

Hi Tools-dev folk:

Jim Schaad has raised the question "should the marker element be allowed in
SVG RFC?"

I've raised this as an issue for RFC SVG, the URL for that discussion is
   https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-svg-rfc-bis/issues/5

The short version of that is:

FOR: Many SVG drawing/editing programs use markers for arrowheads etc, and
        people will probably want to use those.

AGAINST: The marker element is not allowed in SVG Tiny (SVG for small-screen
        devices).  If we allow it in SVG RFC, how likely is it that
        small-screen devices won;t be able to display images using markers?

If we decide to allow markers, I can certainly rework the  iab-rfc-bis draft
to do that - but that's a change that needs wider discussion.

What do you all thinnk about this, please?

Cheers, Nevil

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 11:57:13 -0700

Hi all,

I'd like to pop this up the stack in your email queue. Any 
thoughts/opinions here?

Thanks!
Heather

On 5/8/18 3:20 PM, Nevil Brownlee wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:05:30 -0500

I worry it won't be as simple as "markers are allowed" -  the marker 
spec includes animation elements for example. Will our profile, as 
currently written disallow those, or would we have to add 
marker-specific profiling text?

(I'm looking at <https://www.w3.org/TR/svg-markers/>).

I would also like to find out why they were not included in tinysvg.

RjS

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:06:56 -0500

<https://svgwg.org/specs/markers/> is the editor's copy and it has 
better working links.