Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Fwd: Notes from the format developers and doc authors meeting @ IETF 101

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 10:29:49 -0700

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Notes from the format developers and doc authors meeting @ 
IETF 101
Date: 	Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:48:40 +0000
From: 	Heather Flanagan <[email-masked]>
To: 	Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], Jim Schaad 
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked]

Attendees:
Julian, Paul, Henrik, Nevil, Jim, Alice, Heather

Tool status:
Jim - first cut version of svg check, rfclint, and rfcxmldiff is on the 
python repository. Note that SVG is a cleanup tool. We will rename to 
svg-cleanup. At least one more revised draft should be expected.

Henrik - one round on preptool is done. Started working on the text 
formatter, which informed more work needing to be done on preptool. The 
preptool should contain the index if any and the ToC (if any) so the 
formatter will work of the same information. Henrik will be generating a 
list of all the issues/changes and using a script that creates both an 
email and an issue in GitHub. If they need fixing, we expect to see what 
the list says, and then Henrik will make a proposal for the change,and 
then he and Paul will work on coordinating/accepting the associated PRs. 
One PR per issue. For Henrik-generated changes, Paul will handle the PR 
review and approval, and for Paul-generated changes, Henrik will handle 
the PR review and approval.

Henrik will be proposing a new tag related to non-ASCII.
Paul - will generate a new I-D as soon as the first handful of 7991-bis 
issues have been dealt with. Paul will also handle curation of issues 
and make sure people take discussions to the list.
Julian - will update his sample draft to include SVG. Most of v3 to HTML 
and most of v3 to PDF, v3 to EPUB, v3 to v2, and most of the preptool. 
The sample doc includes examples with non-ASCII. Do need an XSLT2 
processor and Java to run Julian’s tools. The v3 to v2 is to downconvert 
the files he has so he can have TXT.

Side note: making v1 and v2 XML files slightly more easily available 
could be handled by creating a tool that would first generate a copy of 
the TXT and then diff it to the published version, and then have people 
have to acknowledge the changes and let people download the XML. Known 
problems re: boilerplate; consider having this conversation with Sandy, 
Alice, and Paul to explore further?

Heather - met with Alice to discuss the list of educational/support 
material that we need to start put together for authors for v3. Will be 
starting work on that now.

Paul proposal: perhaps the RPC should do a quick review in IETF last 
call for a quick sanity check on whether authors are using the new 
features (similar to the IANA check that they do for docs in IETF last call)

Other notes: v2 to v3 converter will likely be initially used at the 
start of AUTH48, but expect this to move sooner to the doc arrival. This 
ties into Paul’s comments re: doing the review earlier during last call 
because the change in things like lists from v2 to v3 will be 
significant enough to insert technical changes in interpretation. Maybe 
at draft submission, have the tool to do a v2 to v3 and a v3 to txt 
convertion immediately. That would get the visibility out there faster.
Sent from my iPad

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 10:33:32 -0700

On 4/9/18 10:29 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> Julian - will update his sample draft to include SVG. Most of v3 to 
> HTML and most of v3 to PDF, v3 to EPUB, v3 to v2, and most of the 
> preptool. The sample doc includes examples with non-ASCII. Do need an 
> XSLT2 processor and Java to run Julian’s tools. The v3 to v2 is to 
> downconvert the files he has so he can have TXT.
Forgot to include with a correction:

s/SVG/valid RFC-SVG/ - it already includes SVG...

XSLT: xslt2 only needed for preptool. xslt1 suffcient for HTML 
generation (even in-browser; just open 
<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/v3test.xml>).