Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Non urgent datatracker request from IESG: storing BoF request information in datatracker

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 14:27:11 +0100

Hi,
IESG/IAB is currently storing  BoF requests in a Wiki. This is a low
priority request to consider whether this information can be migrated to
datatracker.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you,
Alexey

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 09:34:06 -0400

Alexey:

If I recall properly, only ADs have write access to that wiki page.  Is that the desired access control for the BoF Request page?

Russ

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 9:27 AM, Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 10:26:27 -0500

The BoF wiki only requires a login - Bof proponents edit it all the 
time. See 
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki/WikiStart?action=history>

I don't think we want to add the wiki-like functionality to the 
datatracker in this case.

If the IESG wants to keep a place where relatively unstructured 
information can be added by proponents, then a wiki is the better tool.

It may be reasonable, however, to use the group functionality in the 
datatracker to help track the administrative part of what the wiki is 
currently used to track. I see the flow looking something like this:

1) When a BoF is proposed, an _AD_ asks to create a group for it, and 
gives that group chairs. (Note this means we will like rename groups 
more often than we are doing now since BoFs often get renamed several 
times in the early proposal stage, and sometimes at WG formation stage 
if a WG results).

2) The AD puts in a Session request for the BoF at the meeting. (Later, 
when the results of the coordination call are known, the Session request 
can be cancelled if necessary).

3) The AD _could_ make a proposed charter with whatever text is 
currently in the wiki.

4) The chairs (or AD) could then add materials to the session - agendas, 
slides, etc. The stuff that goes in the wiki now could be materials like 
this. Anything that wouldn't actually be used if the BoF is approved and 
met can be removed from the Session before the meeting happens.

We could then add functionality to the tracker to make a page that shows 
the BoFs in consideration for a meeting (approved or not) and have easy 
navigation to those materials.

Thoughts?

RjS

On 9/7/17 8:34 AM, Russ Housley wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development