Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Change to 2119 Boilerplate in IDNits

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:31:20 -0500

(Writing As IESG tools liaison, and also as the responsible AD for the 
draft)

Hi,

The IESG approved draft-leiba-rfc2119-update today. This draft changes 
the 2119 keyword boilerplate so that words are only to be interpreted 
with their 2119 meanings when in all-caps. Standard case instances are 
to be interpreted by their normal dictionary definitions.

This will require a change to IDNits to allow the new boilerplate. The 
IESG would like to see IDNits accept the new boilerplate as soon as 
possible, while continuing to allow the old boilerplate for the time 
being. At some point in the future, the IESG will request the old 
boilerplate to no longer be accepted.

Robert and Henrik, can you estimate when this might be possible? While 
the draft still needs to go through the RFC Editor process, I would be 
surprised to see changes in the proposed new boilerplate.

Thanks!

Ben.

Forwarded message:

> From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: ID Tracker State Update Notice: 
> <draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-02.txt>
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:21:07 -0700
>
> IESG state changed to Approved-announcement to be sent from IESG 
> Evaluation
> ID Tracker URL: 
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-rfc2119-update/

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 16:19:12 -0400

Ben:

Please tell us which of these activities has higher priority:

1) The DMARC and alias code.  Recall that this was perviously blocked by the version of Mailman that were we using, and the upgrade last Tuesday included an upgrade to Mailman.

2) The IDnits for bit RFC 2119 and draft-leiba-rfc2119-update boilerplate.

Russ

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 2:31 PM, Ben Campbell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> (Writing As IESG tools liaison, and also as the responsible AD for the draft)
> 
> Hi,
> 
> The IESG approved draft-leiba-rfc2119-update today. This draft changes the 2119 keyword boilerplate so that words are only to be interpreted with their 2119 meanings when in all-caps. Standard case instances are to be interpreted by their normal dictionary definitions.
> 
> This will require a change to IDNits to allow the new boilerplate. The IESG would like to see IDNits accept the new boilerplate as soon as possible, while continuing to allow the old boilerplate for the time being. At some point in the future, the IESG will request the old boilerplate to no longer be accepted.
> 
> Robert and Henrik, can you estimate when this might be possible? While the draft still needs to go through the RFC Editor process, I would be surprised to see changes in the proposed new boilerplate.
> 
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Ben.

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 15:46:29 -0500

I'm going to say DMARC is higher priority. It's causing actual pain. But 
let me confirm that with the IESG.

Thanks!

Ben.

On 16 Mar 2017, at 15:19, Russ Housley wrote:

> 1) The DMARC and alias code.  Recall that this was perviously blocked 
> by the version of Mailman that were we using, and the upgrade last 
> Tuesday included an upgrade to Mailman.
>
>> The IESG approved draft-leiba-rfc2119-update today. This draft 
>> changes the 2119 keyword boilerplate so that words are only to be 
>> interpreted with their 2119 meanings when in all-caps. Standard case 
>> instances are to be interpreted by their normal dictionary 
>> definitions.
>>
>> This will require a change to IDNits to allow the new boilerplate. 
>> The IESG would like to see IDNits accept the new boilerplate as soon 
>> as possible, while continuing to allow the old boilerplate for the 
>> time being. At some point in the future, the IESG will request the 
>> old boilerplate to no longer be accepted.
>>
>> Robert and Henrik, can you estimate when this might be possible? 
>> While the draft still needs to go through the RFC Editor process, I 
>> would be surprised to see changes in the proposed new boilerplate.
>>
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ben.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:36:31 +0100

Hi Ben,

> surprised to see changes in the proposed new boilerplate.

I can do a new idnits release as soon as the RFC number for the new
RFC is available, so I know the exact boilerplate text.  Should take me
a couple of hours, at most.

Best regards,

	Henrik

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>