Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Post submit survey?

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 16:49:20 -0500

Alia had an interesting idea in a conversation the other day that I 
wanted to capture before it gets away.

Her suggestion was to add a survey to the draft submission process - the 
survey would ask what tool the submitter used to prepare the draft, how 
happy they were with that tool. The survey could end with a page 
pointing to the known authoring tools, allowing people to discover 
alternatives if they are frustrated.

Does that sound worth doing (either by adding it directly to the 
tracker, or linking out to surveymonkey or something like it?)

RjS

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 14:52:02 -0700

On 11/1/16 2:49 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> Her suggestion was to add a survey to the draft submission process -
> the survey would ask what tool the submitter used to prepare the
> draft, how happy they were with that tool. The survey could end with a
> page pointing to the known authoring tools, allowing people to
> discover alternatives if they are frustrated.
>

I like the idea, especially to get feedback on the new format tools, but
I'd want to make it optional. An extra check box or something that says
"Are you willing to take a short survey to provide feedback on your
experience with the draft creation and submission process?" That might
send them a link to the survey, and so avoid interrupting their workflow
to get the draft submitted.

-Heather

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 18:02:13 -0500

> On Nov 1, 2016, at 4:52 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

+1 on liking the idea as long as it is optional, and reasonably unobtrusive. I can imagine people getting frustrated with "yet one more step" when they are trying to submit a batch of drafts just-under-the-wire before the pre-meeting embargo starts.

Not that people  do that :-)

> 
> -Heather
> 
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 11:56:39 +0100

> tracker, or linking out to surveymonkey or something like it?)

Might be interesting, but should definitely (I think) be through an
optional link out to an existing survey tool, rather than adding the
survey functionality to the datatracker.  Good survey support is not
trivial.

Best regards,

	Henrik