Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call Agenda -- 11 Oct. 2016 at 1:00 Eastern

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 11:02:31 -0400

Tools Call Agenda -- 11 Oct. 2016 at 1:00 Eastern

1. Datatracker Projects
   - Expected Datatracker Releases -- Robert and Henrik
     -- http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
   - Contracts for Datatracker Enhancements -- Robert
     -- Tracking Internet-Draft Manual Post Requests
     -- Review Tracking
   - Meeting Materials Management and Proceedings -- Robert
   - Author Statistics -- Russ
   - Libraries for HTML of I-Ds -- Henrik

2. Community & Other Projects
   - Improvements to the mail archive application -- Robert and Ryan
   - IETF Website Makeover -- Greg and Joe

3. RFC Services Projects
   - Contracts for Improvements to RFC Services -- Heather
     -- RFC Editor Statistics and Metrics
   - RFC Format-related SOWs -- Robert
   - CSS for the RFCs -- Heather

4. Transition of Mission Critical Tools
   - Moving issue trackers and wikis for IETF WGs on ietf.org -- Henrik

5. Server Infrastructure
   - Migrate toward Django 1.8, 1.9, and 1.10 -- Henrik
   - Migrate from MySQL to PostgreSQL -- Henrik
   - CDN support for HTML and PDF I-Ds -- Henrik

6. IDIQ Contractors
   - RFP for more IDIQ contractors -- Ray

7. Parking Lot
   - Discontinue MonArch email archives -- Robert
   - Improve infrastructure for finding and fetching artifacts -- Robert
   - Author information for very old I-Ds in the datatracker -- Robert
   - Replace I-Ds in proceedings with links to archive copy?
   - Performance improvements and transition to Postgres -- Henrik
   - VM Architecture for Servers -- Robert
   - Submit an I-D directly from GitHub
   - Mailman support for internationalized email addresses

8. AOB

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 10:20:55 -0500

>       -- http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
We've had a lot of priority bugfix interrupts these last few weeks.
Those have centered primarily around supporting the nomcom and draft 
submissions.
Despite that, we have made significant progress on planned items - the 
new proceedings and meeting materials pages are live, and there is now a 
customized api for the iphone meeting app.
Please skim the release notes for 6.33.1, 6.34.0, 6.34.1, and 6.34.2.

The MergePlan has been updated to reflect what we expect to do in the 
next few weeks.
>       -- Tracking Internet-Draft Manual Post Requests
Deployed.
>       -- Review Tracking
Still very close to completion - commits have been high velocity the 
last week. I still expect to have this in production before Seoul.
>     - Meeting Materials Management and Proceedings -- Robert
Deployed.

You can get a feel for what the new proceedings will look like by 
looking at the most recent meetings.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/96/proceedings
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/95/proceedings
Neither of those have been "finalized" so they still highlight missing 
materials and the Introduction elements haven't been filled in.
The right thing will happen with those for 97.

You can get a feel for the new material management by looking at pages like
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/97/session/lamps (Russ is ahead on 
getting materials loaded).
Go to the sandbox and login as the chair of a group and look at a 
similar page for that group at ietf96 and ietf97 to see how uploading 
materials will work.

>     - RFC Format-related SOWs -- Robert
We should be tracking the RFP rather than the SOWs now?
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 08:25:45 -0700

>      -- RFC Editor Statistics and Metrics

This one is done and should come off the list.

>    - CSS for the RFCs -- Heather

The RFC Format-related RFPs went out on 20 September. I haven't seen any
questions come in since. The Q&A period ended October 3rd. Proposals are
due by October 17.

The CSS RFP was awarded to Spherical Cow Group. I have a call with Arlen
next week to talk about the next steps.

-Heather

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 17:46:15 +0200

>>     - Libraries for HTML of I-Ds -- Henrik

Comes after Django upgrades and EAI work, as #14 in the PLAN file.

>>     - Moving issue trackers and wikis for IETF WGs on ietf.org -- Henrik

Imminent.  Is #2 in the PLAN file, after merging proceedings code, which
is already done to a large extent.  The datatracker management command
needed to create wikis and keep permissions, components, etc. up-to-date
is pretty much done; might even be released before the call.  Next up after
that release is to agree on the actual move with Glen and Matt.

>>     - Migrate toward Django 1.8, 1.9, and 1.10 -- Henrik

Currently #7 in the PLAN file, after Wiki glue, some database cleanup,
review tracking merge, minor schema changes, and some new WG states.
I'm thinking of moving it up to #5.  I'd expect to start on this during
October.

>>     - Migrate from MySQL to PostgreSQL -- Henrik

#13 in the PLAN file.  After some thinking and reading this week on sql
optimization this feels less urgent than before -- I believe it still
will help us analyse where we can improve performance, but there are
a number of effective actions we can take without this transition.  Can
be pushed back.

>>     - CDN support for HTML and PDF I-Ds -- Henrik

#14 and #15 in the PLAN file.  Quite some way away.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 15:31:05 -0400

Robert:

> You can get a feel for what the new proceedings will look like by looking at the most recent meetings.
> Neither of those have been "finalized" so they still highlight missing materials and the Introduction elements haven't been filled in.

How will these be finalized for IETF 95 and 96?

Russ

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 14:53:57 -0500

> How will these be finalized for IETF 95 and 96?
I don't currently plan to finalize them. They are there to look at as 
examples (and they clearly say so on the page).

To be complete: "finalizing" is a step the secretariat takes at with the 
new proceedings page to say "these are done and we don't expect them to 
change anymore". If you're logged in as the secretariat, a big 
"Finalize" button appears at the top of the page. Before finalization, 
the page shows as "Draft proceedings" and highlights missing materials. 
After finalization the page shows as "Proceedings". The ability to 
change anything that might appear on the page gets closed down to just 
the secretariat, and they get warnings if they try to change anything.

Some of the pages in the Introduction section will get populated during 
that finalization process.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 11:20:45 -0400

On Oct 7, 2016, at 3:53 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I don't currently plan to finalize them. They are there to look at as examples (and they clearly say so on the page).
> 
> To be complete: "finalizing" is a step the secretariat takes at with the new proceedings page to say "these are done and we don't expect them to change anymore". If you're logged in as the secretariat, a big "Finalize" button appears at the top of the page. Before finalization, the page shows as "Draft proceedings" and highlights missing materials. After finalization the page shows as "Proceedings". The ability to change anything that might appear on the page gets closed down to just the secretariat, and they get warnings if they try to change anything.
> 
> Some of the pages in the Introduction section will get populated during that finalization process.

Got it.  I guess I misunderstood your original comment.  I thought that at some point these would be “finalized” and replace the previous version of proceedings.

Russ