Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] IETF Mail slowdown

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 10:06:23 -0700

All -

Over the past two hours, the IETF server has been the target of a DDOS
mail attack from a number of countries in South America.   This
involved the sending of thousands of messages, all from
"[email-masked]", to "[email-masked]".

The mail queue went from its normal levels to over 4000 active
messages at one time, resulting in delays processing legitimate email.

Working over the past two hours, we've brought this attack to a halt.

Fortunately, Henrik's postconfirm system did an admirable job of
sifting the garbage out, so we don't expect that any of these messages
actually made it to lists or list moderation queues.

Nonetheless, mail delivery was slow while the attack was in progress.

Service should be back to normal now, and we will continue to watch, as always.

Glen
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)