Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Updating the Tools Team Charter

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 17:08:08 -0400

Jari asked me to update the Tools Team Charter.  Here is my first draft.  Please review and comment.

Russ

= = = = = 

The purpose of the IETF Tools Team is to provide IETF feedback and
guidance during the development of software tools to support various
parts of IETF activities.

The IETF Tools Team is not tasked with the actual software development;
however, the team members understand software development, and they have
the ability to communicate the needs of the IETF community regarding the
individual tools.  Although, the team members are not prohibited from
actively developing tools.

Some tools are operated and maintained by the IETF Secretariat.  These
tools are listed here:

	https://ietf.org/tools/

Many other tools are made available by volunteers for use by anyone,
without any warranty.  These tools are listed here:

	https://tools.ietf.org/

In addition, the IETF Tools Team is responsible for organizing a
codesprint prior to each IETF meeting.  The codesprint allows anyone to
participate in the improvement of tools used by the IETF community in a
friendly and supportive environment.  Information about participating in
a codesprint is available here:

	https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/IETFSprintHowto

In order to allow for community visibility and input into IETF Tools Team
activities, the archives of the Tools Team mailing list are publicly
available:

	https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=tools-development

Please join the discussion of existing tools and any tools that you
would like to see developed:

	https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss