Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call Agenda -- 17 November 2015 at 13:00 Eastern

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:02:06 -0500

Tools Call Agenda -- 17 November 2015 at 13:00 Eastern

1. Datatracker Projects
   - Expected Datatracker Releases -- Robert and Henrik
     -- http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
   - Tracking Internet-Draft Manual Post Requests -- Robert
   - Interim Meeting Management -- Robert
   - Review Tracking -- Robert
   - Author Statistics -- Russ

2. Community & Other Projects
   - Improve infrastructure for finding and fetching artifacts -- Robert
   - IETF Website Makeover -- Joe and Greg

3. RFC Services Projects
   - RFC Editor Website Makeover -- Alice and Heather
   - RFC Editor Statistics and Metrics -- Heather
   - RSE's Design Teams -- Heather
   - RFC Format-related SOWs -- Robert

4. Transition of Mission Critical Tools
   - Moving issue trackers and wikis for IETF WGs on ietf.org

5. Server Infrastructure
   - File sync from Sunnyvale to Orlando -- Henrik
   - IMAP access to the email archives -- Robert

6. IDIQ Contractors
   - RFP for more IDIQ contractors -- Ray

7. Parking Lot
   - Mentor Support Tool -- AMS
   - Author information for very old I-Ds in the datatracker -- Robert
   - Replace I-Ds in proceedings with links to archive copy?
   - Can the test process for the NomCom Tool be more comprehensive?
   - Performance improvements and transition to Postgres -- Henrik
   - VM Architecture for Servers -- Robert
   - Add the YANG checker to the I-D Submission Tool
   - Submit an I-D directly from GitHub

8. AOB

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 19:54:29 -0500

Russ,

I think it would be good to touch on mail archive access. Including :
A. Plan for phasing out old system
B. features gating A.
C. Other feedback from ietf 94

To add to the discussion / thinking, I hacked a very old web imap interface 
to view the archives. Just a PoC  of what's possible without changing 
infrastructure.  Login using imap credentials, e.g., anonymous and 
[email-masked] - I like the threaded view myself:
http://blabn.net/archive-teas
Or http://blabn.net/archive-all
      (hit reload if/after getting the error message; select the group you 
are interested in).

Thanks
Lou

On November 12, 2015 5:03:30 PM Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:50:43 -0500

I've added it to the agenda.

Russ

On Nov 12, 2015, at 7:54 PM, Lou Berger wrote:

> To add to the discussion / thinking, I hacked a very old web imap interface to view the archives. Just a PoC  of what's possible without changing infrastructure.  Login using imap credentials, e.g., anonymous and [email-masked] - I like the threaded view myself:
>     (hit reload if/after getting the error message; select the group you are interested in).
> 
> Thanks
> Lou
> 
> 
>

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:53:56 -0500

Thanks.
Lou

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 08:04:25 -0800

There’s been some recent talk on the tools list about adding CND support for tools.ietf.org (Cloudflare) — is this worth adding to tomorrow’s agenda?

Alexa

>>>>  - Submit an I-D directly from GitHub

----------
Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
Email: [email-masked]

Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 11:41:05 -0500

CND? or CDN? Both (Computer Network Defense and Content Distribution
Network) seem interesting topics in their own rights.

    Tony

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 08:43:29 -0800

Oops, typo — intended to write CDN.

----------

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 13:07:57 -0500

1. Datatracker Projects
   - Make Django a dependency instead of using our own copy -- Henrik

3. RFC Services Projects

5. Server Infrastructure
   - File sync from Sunnyvale to Orlando -- Henrik
   - CDN support for tools.ietf.org -- Alexa
   - IMAP access to the email archives -- Robert
   - Discontinue MonArch email archives -- Robert

6. IDIQ Contractors

7. Parking Lot

8. AOB

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 13:12:38 -0500

Russ

On the Meetings Call today there was a suggestion that Agenda users
should be able to inout their timezone and have the Agenda reflect the 
schedule for that TZ.  

Suggestions for that work?

Ray
> On Nov 12, 2015, at 5:02 PM, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 10:12:15 -0800

Alexa -

This might have happened on a "tools list" that I am not on... but,
no, I am not in favor of adding this to the agenda at this time.  IMO,
there are far too many questions that need to be answered first.  For
example...

* The configuration and operation of Cloudflare's control panels are
non-intuitive and non-trivial.  Moreover, configuring rules requires a
detailed knowledge of the various services, directories, and processes
running on the target server.  This mean, in essence, that Henrik
would have to take responsibility for setting up and configuring
Cloudflare appropriately for his servers.

* The "speedup" aspect of Cloudflare here is, I would suspect, not as
useful, since, I would guess, much if not all of the content on the
Tools servers is dynamic (and would not benefit much if at all from
caching rules.)

* The "protection" aspect of Cloudflare is... cumbersome... at best.
Behind Cloudflare, our ability to use on-our-own-server tools to
detect and mitigate attacks becomes limited.  We have to search our
logs and then log in to Cloudflare (or send via Cloudflare tools) our
firewall requests to their server.  This adds difficulty and
complexity to the defense process.  Henrik would be faced with dealing
with all of that himself as well.

* It is unknown at this time how Cloudflare would handle one subdomain
of one already-protected top domain.  I suspect that the only way they
could handle this would be to simply treat "tools" as a part of
"ietf.org".  This means that Henrik would have to log in to the
Secretariat Cloudflare account to make changes and deal with issues on
his servers.  While Henrik is already (obviously) a trusted root user
of AMS servers, this does not scale.  We cannot have a situation where
other volunteers or unknown individuals have access to this critical
portal.  What about a future in which the Tools servers are outsourced
to another service or vendor?  (I know Henrik plans to live forever,
but *work* forever?)  So I have security concerns with a future of
that type.

* Moreover, my understanding is that, eventually, most of the tools
are to be moved to the Secretariat server?

These are issues which are far too complex and specific to be dealt
with on a tools call.  Debate and speculation alone would easily
consume the entire hour.  If CDN services are wanted by Henrik, the
first discussion should be between Russ, Henrik and myself, to work
out the tactical possibilities.  And once we do that, it would
basically be done anyway.

In the interest of time and speed, and to give Henrik time to consider
what he actually wants and how he would like it to work, I recommend
against adding this to the agenda for the Tools Call at this time.

Glen

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 20:32:30 +0100

> should be able to inout their timezone and have the Agenda reflect the 

Huh.  We had that before the bootstrap upgrade.  Looks like we lost it
then.  Should not be too hard to bring it back.

	Henrik

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 13:49:58 -0600

Some notes to help with the call duration

>       -- http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
Lots of progress here. Please be sure to look through the Oct/Nov 
release notes at https://datatracker.ietf.org/release
(releases 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.7.0, 6.7.1, 6.7.2, 6.8.0, 6.9.0, and 6.10.0)

As we went through the plan, we found things that needed to be 
split-out/deferred. Those are shown in the current version of the 
MergePlan page.

>     - Make Django a dependency instead of using our own copy -- Henrik
done
>     - Tracking Internet-Draft Manual Post Requests -- Robert
Ready to go - the next action is with Ray (I believe that's to ask for 
IDIQ bids)
(Ray - let me know if I'm mistaken on any of these)
>     - Interim Meeting Management -- Robert
Also ready to go - the next action is with Ray (I believe that's to ask 
for IDIQ bids)
>     - Review Tracking -- Robert
Ready to go, also with Ray, but this should go out for general bid.
>     - Improve infrastructure for finding and fetching artifacts -- Robert
nothing to report
>     - RFC Format-related SOWs -- Robert
RSOC is supposed to be done with their review this week. The IAB will 
get poked next, followed (or possibly in parallel) by a community 
comment period. This should put things in  "ready to go our for bid" by 
end of year.
>     - Moving issue trackers and wikis for IETF WGs on ietf.org
Pending glue code being tracked in the MergePlan
>     - IMAP access to the email archives -- Robert
This is working. Trouble reports are minimal, mostly related to broken 
messages in the archives.
>     - Submit an I-D directly from GitHub
Meeting materials: I got a lot of input from Henrik and the secretariat 
and am still in the process of creating an SoW.
I hope to have a good draft out in a week or so.

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 13:57:31 -0600

It would probably also be useful for folks to skim

http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/query?owner=&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=priority&max=1999&col=id&col=summary&col=type&col=priority&col=component&col=reporter&report=29&desc=1&order=id

before the call.

On 11/16/15 1:49 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> Also ready to go - the next action is with Ray (I believe that's to 
> ask for IDIQ bids)
> comment period. This should put things in  "ready to go our for bid" 
> by end of year.
>>
> Meeting materials: I got a lot of input from Henrik and the 
> secretariat and am still in the process of creating an SoW.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 16:17:02 -0500

Robert:

> This is working. Trouble reports are minimal, mostly related to broken messages in the archives.

Do we have a plan for the needed cleanup?  Is it so big that we need to contract for help?

Russ

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 16:47:02 -0500

There is already a ticket for this:

http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/ticket/959

Russ