Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Fwd: RFC Editor website changes

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 15:37:00 -0700

Hello Tools Team:

An announcement went out to the IESG and IAB today re: the plans to cut
over the RFC Editor Website. You, too, can share in the experience and
check out the new site! See info below.

- -Heather

- -------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:     RFC Editor website changes
Date:     Mon, 28 Sep 2015 15:35:38 -0700
From:     Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <[email-masked]>
To:     [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC:     [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hello IAB and IESG,

As you may recall from various announcements during the technical
plenaries, and updates during our Sunday meetings at various IETF
meetings, the RFC Editor is planning a major revamp of our website. The
new site will be significantly easier to maintain and, hopefully, allow
people to more easily find the information they might be looking for. As
the look and layout of the website has not appreciably changed since
2002, there is going to be some adjustment for people as they get used
to the new site.

For primary content, there will be a redirect in place if the URL has
changed. We expect to incrementally improve the site as we receive
feedback or have new ideas ourselves for how to make things better. For
now, please feel free to look at https://www2.rfc-editor.org on your
laptop, your tablet, or your phone and let us know what you think by
sending mail to [[email-masked]].  We plan to begin
switchover operations (www2.rfc-editor.org will become
www.rfc-editor.org) on 1 October at 8:30 AM Pacific Time, and we
estimate that the entire process will take less than four hours. During
that window, most pages and services will be up; however, as
replacements are made, some pages and services may be unavailable, or
may contain links that do not work properly. Please be patient during
the switchover period

As you are seeing the 'pre-release' version, please note that some
data (e.g., queue reports) on the www2 site may be stale, as that site
is currently running from a development copy of the database. It will
be changed to the production database upon switchover on October 1.

Feedback is always welcome. If you have any questions, suggestions, or
concerns, please post to [email-masked] and we can discuss.
If you want to report a bug, that goes to [email-masked].

- -Heather Flanagan, RSE

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:00:21 +0200

Hi Heather,

I'm happy to see a more responsive design.

Some quick web mechanics issues:

 - The left-hand menubar disappears and the top menu icon appears when
   the width goes below 801px, but the space for the lefthand menubar
   remains, blank, until the width goes below 701px.  This results in
   unintentional bad layout for widths of 701px to 800px.

 - If one runs javascript, there seems to be javascript snippet which
   for some widths runs _all the time_, and results in constantly changing
   values for the left: style of the <div/> with id="responsive-menu".
   I haven't looked closely if the style itself is being manipulated or
   if the flutter I see in my page inspector is the result of width changes
   in a subsidiary element.  I suspect however that this could cause bad
   battery-draining on mobile devices of the wrong widths.  Also, it
   seems to me that things work fine without javascript enabled, so I'm
   not sure exactly why that over-eager snippet is in use.

Other observations:

 - The rfc errata summary table doesn't adapt well to widths less than 1212px

Best regards,

	Henrik

On 2015-09-29 00:37, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> -Heather
> -------- Forwarded Message --------
> -Heather Flanagan, RSE
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>