Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Making a calendar for upcoming interim meetings from the datatracker

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 17:17:35 -0500

At the last call we discussed building a calendar that people can 
subscribe to for upcoming interim meetings.
I indicated that it should be straightforward to do so, unless there 
were surprises.
There turned out to be _many_ little dragon-shaped surprises, but I 
think the plan is still good.

I have a proof-of-concept implementation that shows we can build a 
calendar (and a regular page to look at in the tracker) showing upcoming 
meetings, and allowing the person asking to filter to only those groups 
they care about using the query syntax they are used to with the meeting 
agenda page (such as ?rtg,-nvo3 to get all routing groups except nvo3).

Unfortunately, what's in the tracker right now is woefully inadequate. 
For instance, the tracker currently has no idea what _time_ an interim 
would be (it can, but the data is not populated). Further, what we 
capture to date at www.ietf.org is really hard to point into. If you 
look, for instance, at http://ietf.org/meeting/interim.html - the 
upcoming meeting for nvo3 is indicated by the date ranges reflected in 
the announcement at http://ietf.org/meeting/interim/nvo3-2015-05-01.txt. 
There's not a place where something short of intelligence can connect 
the dots.

I think the right thing to do here is to still target creating this view 
and calendar in the tracker, and make sure that we capture and populate 
the information that calendar will need to have as part of the upcoming 
interim meeting management tool work. I'll be meeting with Alexa next 
week to push the requirements/SoW for that work along.

RjS

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 20:19:33 -0400

Robert
Sounds like a good plan

Is it possible to use a form to capture the details?

Ray

> On Jul 1, 2015, at 6:17 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> At the last call we discussed building a calendar that people can subscribe to for upcoming interim meetings.
> I indicated that it should be straightforward to do so, unless there were surprises.
> There turned out to be _many_ little dragon-shaped surprises, but I think the plan is still good.
> 
> I have a proof-of-concept implementation that shows we can build a calendar (and a regular page to look at in the tracker) showing upcoming meetings, and allowing the person asking to filter to only those groups they care about using the query syntax they are used to with the meeting agenda page (such as ?rtg,-nvo3 to get all routing groups except nvo3).
> 
> Unfortunately, what's in the tracker right now is woefully inadequate. For instance, the tracker currently has no idea what _time_ an interim would be (it can, but the data is not populated). Further, what we capture to date at www.ietf.org is really hard to point into. If you look, for instance, at http://ietf.org/meeting/interim.html - the upcoming meeting for nvo3 is indicated by the date ranges reflected in the announcement at http://ietf.org/meeting/interim/nvo3-2015-05-01.txt. There's not a place where something short of intelligence can connect the dots.
> 
> I think the right thing to do here is to still target creating this view and calendar in the tracker, and make sure that we capture and populate the information that calendar will need to have as part of the upcoming interim meeting management tool work. I'll be meeting with Alexa next week to push the requirements/SoW for that work along.
> 
> RjS
> 
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:57:02 -0500

> Is it possible to use a form to capture the details?
Of course - building that will be part of the interim meeting management 
project I mention below.

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 11:13:12 -0400

Robert,
    Maybe there's a different way to come at solving this. Interims*
(and other IETF) meetings are really driven by WebEx and webex provides
all the needed info neatly in e-mail.  While quite ugly, is there
perhaps a way to scan/scrape these mails, perhaps leveraging the
embedded 'Add this meeting to your calendar'  link, to drive creation of
entries in the interim, wg, committees, I*, etc icals?  Seems ugly, but
straightforward.

Lou

* Always true for virtual interims, true also for most physicals to
enable remote participation

---

From: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 17:38:37 +0000

WebEx also has an API.  It's not awesome, but it exists:

https://developer.cisco.com/site/webex-developer/web-conferencing/

-- 
Joe Hildebrand

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 12:44:12 -0500

That hooks in too late in the process, and assumes only webex is used 
for remote participation.

We are going to be solving a bigger problem around interims, and 
building calendars will fall out nicely from that solution.

This is raw (Alexa and I have not talked about it yet), so it will 
likely change a lot before I put it into SoW form, but here's some 
initial thinking to give you a feel for the scope we should aim for:
http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/interim.html/

RjS

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 14:24:24 -0400

Robert,

On 7/6/2015 1:44 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> That hooks in too late in the process, 
okay, but it seems like a trivial way to get basic functionality with
low effort. -- at least to fill the gap until we have a full solution.

> and assumes only webex is used 
isn't that the case today.

> building calendars will fall out nicely from that solution.
okay.  look forward having a solution.  (in the mean time I'll probably
write a 'quick and dirty' script and hook it into procmail for my
personal consumption.)

Thanks,
Lou