Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Bridge behavior on today's call

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:49:30 -0500

If you were on today's tools call when we were discussing apps, you 
might remember Lou fading out and Ray having to ask him to speak up.

That was a good example of something the current webex bridges are doing 
that everyone should be aware of.

The issue was not what Lou was sending - rather, some other participant 
had a little bit of the wrong kind of noise coming down their line.
Clicks, pops, key-clicks, and other high-energy, high-frequency sounds 
capture the speaker-selection algorithm, and the bridge _strongly_ mixes 
everyone else down to 1/2 or 1/4 of their normal volume for several 
seconds. Sometimes these clicks are subtle enough that they don't 
capture our ears unless we're listening for them.

To reiterate, Lou couldn't do a thing about it other than wait for the 
bridge to get over de-selecting him.

The only thing we can all do is be very diligent in muting when we 
aren't actually talking.

(I've already passed this observation about the bridge behavior to the 
Webex folks.)

RjS