Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] authoring tools

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 11:20:17 -0800

Hello all,

I meant to bring this up on the call and it totally slipped my mind. 
Stewart Bryant has asked "We discussed authoring tool requirements at
the last IETF and I said I
was interested in helping but would prefer not to be point.  Has anyone
picked this up?"  I said no, that no one has, but I promised to mention
it to the Tools Development team.  So, consider it mentioned, and if you
know of anyone that would like to lead any kind of requirements
gathering for I-D authoring, please let me know.

Thanks,
Heather

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 14:31:21 -0500

I have stated in the past that I do not agree with Stewart on this point.  Authors use many different tools to compose I-Ds, and I do not think the IETF should develop and maintaing an official IETF author tool.  We see that many people chose to use xml2rfc, and that is the reason that we put so much effort into it.

I recognize that others have a different view, and i will not stop anyone from trying to gain support for their view.  That said, I am not the one to pick up this task.

Russ

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 12:47:25 -0800

Russ,

> On Jan 13, 2015, at 11:31 AM, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I agree, and think it is an important requirement that authors be able to use a variety of different tools to compose IDs.  IMHO, we are going down the wrong path if if we have to develop and maintain our own author tool. 

Bob

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 16:00:16 -0500

> I agree, and think it is an important requirement that authors be able to use a variety of different tools to compose IDs.  IMHO, we are going down the wrong path if if we have to develop and maint…

I have said this in plenary.  Others need to say it too, otherwise Stewart will be back at the mic every meeting.

Russ

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:05:29 -0800

On 1/13/15 1:00 PM, Russ Housley wrote:
> Bob:
>
>>> I have stated in the past that I do not agree with Stewart on this
point.  Authors use many different tools to compose I-Ds, and I do not
think the IETF should develop and maintaing an official IETF author
tool.  We see that many people chose to use xml2rfc, and that is the
reason that we put so much effort into it.
>>
>> I agree, and think it is an important requirement that authors be
able to use a variety of different tools to compose IDs.  IMHO, we are
going down the wrong path if if we have to develop and maintain our own
author tool.
>
> I have said this in plenary.  Others need to say it too, otherwise
Stewart will be back at the mic every meeting.

Seems reasonable to me.  I'll chat with him again and close off this
particular avenue for beating this horse.

- -Heather