Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] need help with draft-flanagan-rfc-framework

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:12:45 -0700

Hello Tools Team,

I tend to think in terms of where I'm trying to go, not the details of
how I intend to get there.  In the case of draft-flanagan-rfc-framework,
that means I've described a more waterfall model for rollout than I
really intend, or than we want future developers to follow.  I need help
revising that language into something more sensible.  Here's where I'm
stuck:

Testing will involve:
Working with existing drafts to first focus on getting the xml2rfc v3
vocabulary and tools right
Then, iterate as needed to get the PDF/A-3 correct
Then, iterate as needed to get the HTML correct
etc.

Each iteration will need to inform both the tool(s) and the vocabulary.

We will get to a point where we continue to test, but start to roll out
"final" XML-based RFCs, where the XML is that canonical format I've been
talking about.  It is ok to later republish the publication formats
(PDF, HTML, etc) rendered from that XML, but it is not ok to republish
the XML itself.  What we do not want to do is reach the point where we
agree to publish a canonical XML file and discover through testing a
breaking change to the vocabulary that would render that XML
unrenderable based on tool fixes.

Given that last requirement, how can I rephrase the language in
draft-flanagan-rfc-framework, Section 10, to be less waterfall-ish and
more iterative?  I want testing, but there's going to be a reasonably
clear cut over at some point.

Any suggestions?
Heather

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:31:13 -0700

FWIW, I've taken a first stab at better language and revised the plan
somewhat based on feedback last week from Russ, Jari, and Sandy.  Input
welcome.

See section 10; this draft has not yet been posted.

https://github.com/hlflanagan/draft-flanagan-rfc-framework

On 10/13/14 9:12 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>