Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] First draft of idnits SoW

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:35:47 -0500

This took much longer to put together than I thought it would. The 
effort was not fun. I hope the result is useful.

Please look through this and see what you think is missing or should be 
different.

There are several places where I point to the existing code for 
definition/clarification. If you see any of those where you think that's 
insufficient, and we really need more definition in _this_ document, 
please point them out.

I'll add links to references in the next version.

RjS

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 15:23:38 +0200

Hi Robert,

> effort was not fun. I hope the result is useful.

Wow.  Very comprehensive.

After reading through it, one question which pops into my head, given that
I've written the current implementation but can't always directly associate
your description with my memory of the code, is whether any of the items
which are marked with a '*' in the right-hand margin are completely new,
rather than just having different error/warning/comment reporting conditions
than the current implementation?

> insufficient, and we really need more definition in _this_ document, 

Nothing that jumped out at me.

> I'll add links to references in the next version.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:28:48 -0500

> than the current implementation?
Several of them are completely new - most are easy to spot (being directly
related to non-ascii utf-8 or to xml. The others are not major - they are
things that were small variants of the current concepts (such as warning
if a draft attempts to obsolete an RFC that's already been obsoleted).

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 15:44:03 +0200

Hi Robert,

> related to non-ascii utf-8 or to xml.

Right.  Those were no surprise.

> The others are not major - they are

Aha.  Ok, thanks.

Bewst regards,

	Henrik

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>