Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] sending out a reminder re: xml2rfc v2 cutover

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:37:01 -0700

Hi all,

On the last call, I took an action item to send the proposed text for a
reminder re: the xml2rfc v2 cutover to this list.  I've checked the text
with Jari, since his name is on it, and now it's your turn.  Any
additions/changes to the text?

-------

As a reminder to the community, the RFC Editor will no longer accept
Internet-Drafts created using xml2rfc v1 that are approved for
publication after 30 June 2014.  After that date, all XML files
submitted to the RFC Editor must be compliant with xml2rfc v2.  Authors
may also continue to submit documents in nroff or txt.

The original announcement is available here:
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg12251.html>

If you have questions about xml2rfc v2, please send them to the xml2rfc
mailing list <[email-masked]>.

Heather Flanagan, RFC Series Editor
Jari Arkko, IETF Chair

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 19:52:54 +0100

> may also continue to submit documents in nroff or txt.

That doesn't make any sense. You don't "create" XML files using v1; you 
*convert* them with it.

I believe what you want to say is "will no longer accept
Internet-Drafts in an XML format not accepted by v2".

But even then I don't see the point. Is it preferable if people submit 
plain text, just because their XML doesn't work with v2???

> ...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:10:01 +0100

Hi Heather,

> additions/changes to the text?

Generally, the text looks good.  I wonder, though, if it's really the case
that you won't accept text drafts which happens to be created with xml2rfc v1?

If you will, then any author with a v1-based draft will have the option of
simply not handing in the xml file, and people will of course figure that
out.  So maybe it would be a good idea to lay out the situation, and
encourage the community to move over to xml2rfc v2, and encourage them to
provide xml source?

What about something like this:

  As a reminder to the community, the RFC Editor will transition completely
  to xml2rfc v2 for processing xml source for drafts in July, 2014.
  That means that we will not be able to benefit from your xml source if
  it doesn't work with xml2rfc v2.  Since we do appreciate receiving xml
  source for the drafts which are approved for publication, we encourage
  those who are still working with a tool-chain based on xml2rfc v2 (the
  TCL releases) to transition to v2 (the Python releases).

  The RFC Editor will continue to accept xml source for Internet-Drafts
  created using v1 that are approved for publication until 30 June 2014.

  Authors may also continue to submit documents in nroff or txt.

  ...

Best regards,

	Henrik

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:33:25 -0400

>    those who are still working with a tool-chain based on xml2rfc v2 (the

v1

>    Authors may also continue to submit documents in nroff or txt.

I like Henrik's changes.

     Tony