Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Agenda for Tools Call on 11-Feb-2014

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 12:58:40 -0500

Here is the agenda.

Russ

= = = = = = = = =

Tools Call Agenda -- 11 February 2014 at 13:00 Eastern

1. Datatracker Projects
   - Expected Datatracker Releases -- Robert and Henrik
   - Agenda Scheduling Development -- Robert
   - Agenda Display -- Robert
   - IPR Tool improvements -- Robert
   - Liaison Tool improvements -- Robert

2. Community & Other Projects
   - Mail Search & Archive Tool -- AMS
   - IETF Website Makeover

3. RFC Services Projects
   - xml2rfc bug fixes -- Alice and Henrik
   - RSE Design Team -- Heather

4. Transition of Mission Critical Tools
   - idnits transition is not complete -- AMS
   - Internet-Draft dependencies

5. Parking Lot: These cannot progress until after the London Codesprint
   - Moving mail aliases to ietf.org and link them to datatracker database
   - Moving issue trackers and wikis for IETF WGs on ietf.org
   - Transition to Django authorization model
   
6. AOB

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 11:01:43 -0800

>    - Internet-Draft dependencies

Russ, All -

I am not aware of this item, or of its status, although it is flagged
for me (AMS).

As far as I know, idnits was transferred a number of years ago.  It is
here:  http://www.ietf.org/tools/idnits/

I'm sure there is something obvious that I've just forgotten here -
can someone refresh my memory please?

Thanks,
GLen

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 13:14:32 -0600

Glen -

Ryan is working on this. The transition never finished, and the 
datatracker is still not pointing to using the instance at www.ietf.org.
I started looking into this earlier this month and found (with Henrik 
and Ryan's help) several things that still need to be done.
Ryan can provide more details if necessary, but what he's working on is 
some apache configuration, modifying a couple of new error handlers.
There was also some question about making sure the tool looked in the 
right places for current vs expired drafts - Ryan is that resolved?

RjS

On 2/3/14, 1:01 PM, Glen wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 14:57:05 -0500

At the last meeting, Robert raised the point that several things were not working as expected.

Russ

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 12:11:18 -0800

I will follow up offline with Robert.

Thanks,
Glen

---

From: Ryan Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 12:12:37 -0800

Last week I installed the 404 handler.  It was noted that it will not serve archived documents given the current setup.  If we want to support archived documents I should work with Robert on the best way to implement this.

Thanks,
Ryan

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 12:14:40 -0800

I just pinged Robert offline.  But if that's what this is, then, Ryan,
I will defer to you to handle this.

Thanks,
Glen

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:23:23 -0500

For IDnits, I do not think archived documents are important.  On the other hand, for RFCdiff, archved documents are vital.

Russ

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 14:57:33 -0600

> For IDnits, I do not think archived documents are important.  On the other hand, for RFCdiff, archved documents are vital.
Yes, and rfcdiff is already internally looking in the right places - no 
issue there.

For idnits: right now, if you go to
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-housley-tamp/>
and follow the idnits link, you get to
<http://tools.ietf.org/idnits?url=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-housley-tamp-00.txt>
which works.

The analogous link at www.ietf.org is currently
<http://www.ietf.org/tools/idnits/idnits.pyht?url=http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-housley-tamp-00.txt>
which at the moment gives _very_ wrong feedback.

<http://www.ietf.org/tools/idnits/idnits.pyht?url=http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-housley-pkix-oids-01.txt>
works correctly, because the draft is not expired.

Ryan was working on some apache configuration so that we didn't have to 
say idnits.pyht. We will probably
have to continue to say /tools/idnits/idnits - Henrik's site has some 
involved setup that allows him to just say /idnits.

We may need to be pointing somewhere besides http://www.ietf.org/id, so 
that we can see current and expired drafts.

The 404 handlers came up while we were working on this.
We started trying to improve http://www.ietf.org/id itself so that users 
of tools like idnits didn't have to know the current version number.

The 404 handler Ryan's been working on lets URLs like
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-housley-pkix-oids> work (note the lack of 
version).
If you follow that, you'll see you get the current version of that draft.

Currently, if you try to use that pattern on an expired draft, you get a 
page that says
"Not found ... This draft has expired"
For example, try
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-housley-tamp>
And note that's what the idnits tried to process when I mentioned above 
that it gives very wrong feedback.