Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] pseudo-mail-lists on tools.ietf.org

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 16:32:01 -0400

Henrik:

As you know, there are a whole bunch of pseudo-mail-lists on tools.ietf.org.  Once in the past, we talked about moving them (or at least mirroring them) on ietf.org.  Since then, dependencies have grown.  The Datatracker uses them to reach the WG chairs for actions for documents in their working group.  The Secretariat just used these to assign webex accounts to each IETF Area.  The dependencies on them continue to increase.

I think we need to figure out how make these lists available on the Secretariat-run servers?  I do not care if the name persists on the tools servers too.

I understand that some scripts are involved.  Is this something that can be tackled as part of the codesprint?

Russ

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:29:40 +0200

Hi Russ,

On 2011-09-07 22:32 Russ Housley said the following:
> Henrik:
> 
> As you know, there are a whole bunch of pseudo-mail-lists on
> tools.ietf.org.  Once in the past, we talked about moving them (or at
> least mirroring them) on ietf.org.  Since then, dependencies have
> grown.  The Datatracker uses them to reach the WG chairs for actions
> for documents in their working group.  The Secretariat just used
> these to assign webex accounts to each IETF Area.  The dependencies
> on them continue to increase.
> 
> I think we need to figure out how make these lists available on the
> Secretariat-run servers?  I do not care if the name persists on the
> tools servers too.

Sounds great to me.  I'd just turn the tools servers versions into
forwarders to the secretariat-run aliases in that case; avoiding
the debugging trouble that would go with any differences in the
exact alias definition if we ran them in parallel.

> I understand that some scripts are involved.  Is this something that
> can be tackled as part of the codesprint?

The generation of the alias lists would be ideal for the code sprint,
while the other part of this, actually integrating the alias lists
generated by the datatracker into the secretariat mail setup would
require discussions and interaction with Glen.  I can start those
now, if you like; that way we could have all the details needed
ready in time for the code sprint.

Best regards,

	Henrik