Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call: 20 Oct 2010

From: Steve Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:50:26 -0700

Here is the notes for today's call.  Please note that my Internet was shaky and I couldn't dial back to the phone I was sitting next to, so some of the conversation was garbled.  Please take extra care to review these notes and correct anything that I may have misrepresented or missed entirely.

Thanks,

Steve

-----

IETF Tools Team Call - 20 Oct 2010

Attendees:

Ray Pelletier
Bob Hinden
Julian Reschke
Steve Conte
Robert Sparks
Henrik Levkowetz
Russ Housley
Alexa Morris
Glen Barney

0.  Bash the Agenda

1.  Beijing Code Sprint 

SC: will work with Marcia to ensure that there will be wired connections in the 
codesprint room.  Also to reconfirm the room

RH: Will someone be willing to add search button to tracker so if logged in as AD you 
get search of 3 lists, and if not, then you get 2 lists (no iesg).  Glen completed
the backend work.  To help ensure that last calls will not be missed by people

RjS: adding to list

RH: Assuming that search will be prioritized, Glen; has the AD accounts been set up so
it'll work as soon as the search button appears.

GB: Yes, it appears that they have and can easily reset passwords if needed

RjS: expect to be able to test liasion tool and idsubmission.  Will these tools be ready
for testing in codesprint?

RH: we think it will be ready but HL has work to do (for idsubmission)

RjS: liasion tool?

RH: was almost finished but items were found during first alpha test that would be nice.
Should be finished before sprint.

RjS: so testing @ sprint should take place

2.  Mission Critical Tools Move

rfcdiff: 

RH: architectural question; rfcdiff is using the tools archive of internet drafts if
you want to look at an expired or replaced draft and compare it.  Historically, they've
not been avail on ietf.org (only tools), but must be avail for rfcdiff to work correctly.
The question is do we want to keep them where they are or move them to production site
(big policy change).  Requests advice so RH can take policy question to iesg

HL: was hoping that they'd be someday 'officially' available.  

(room): There's many versions of the archives available across the internet

Suggest we make one version official and move it to production.

HL: AMS version may not be complete and suggest a tool to create a full version of
archives

RH: Glen, how hard would it be to find out how many drafts are missing from AMS archive
GB: Unsure at this moment, but will find out
RjS: may be worthwhile to do a diff -r on both repositories to see if any files with
same filenames have different diffs in them
RH: need a server that'll hold both, Anyone?
GB: AMS should have enough space for this.  HL to provide directory to copy

idnits:

HL isn't sure that the new idnits has been announced yet and suggests that it be
announced.

GB: some infrastructure changes need to be made to correct the tools pointers to
the new tools

xml2rfc:

RH: long thread discussing this.  wanted to make some changes to support boilerplate
that rfc ed needs.  is pagination important?  hoping to find 2 things:
1- who will make changes to current TCL code to support boiler
2- which approach to take going forward for contract help

JR: only person who can do it is Tony, and may be able to do it during sprint.  Doesn't
think change is complicated but requires TCL knowledge. 

3.  NomCom Tools Support

HL: moved files, however there are a number of additional things needing to be done.
(garbled, cannot discern details)

RH: would like to see this nomcom not disrupted but moved for the next nomcom and do 
all prep work to ensure it happens.

4.  IT Tools Development Overview

RP: (showing page w/ 24 items)
3 items highlighted in yellow are work that's awaiting work
11 bold items in work - almost $200k of work
7 projects completed

This is what is expected to be accomplished or in work in Y2010

Russ asks to review Paul's drafts: draft-ietf-genarea*

IAOC approved budget going to ISOC board for approval

5.  Asia Server Update

HL: server up and running, items installed and could do complete install but have 
delayed to encourage [?person?] to do it.  He's looked at the server and will do a complete 
install and fix the items.  Server should be up fairly soon.

6.  Other

Henrik to order a new server, haven't decided yet.

-----
Steve Conte
[email-masked]

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:58:19 +0200

I was dialed in and on Webex as well.