Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Ticketing System Feed-back

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 03:10:35 -0700

Dear all,

First of all I'd like to share some very positive feed-back on the use  
of the ticketing system. As with any other tool, it requires a bit of  
time to get used to it and even more importantly use it appropriately.  
Please find attached a short presentation that I used during the  
Routing Area open meeting (copying Adrian who proposed that slot, our  
Routing AD).

Should I have suggestions to improve the tool, is it the appropriate  
mailing list ? Would you be interested ?

Regards.

JP.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 14:18:21 +0200

Hi JP,

> mailing list ? Would you be interested ?

[email-masked] is probably the most appropriate list.  Yes,
suggestions are welcome :-)

In your slides, you mention:

	- Provide stats
		This may be possible, but it depends on which 
		stats it is you would like...

	- Automatic reminder
		Should be possible.  I'll look into this.

	- Tickets for item even if there's not yet an ID
		I believe this is already possible -- could
		you expand on this; what do you feel is missing
		to make this possible?

Best,

	Henrik