Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools change: IETF Announcements

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 17:13:18 -0400

Is this request an easy change or a hard one?

Russ

>>I really prefer viewing the datatracker version as compared to the
>>documents in plain old text.  Has there been any talk about replacing
>>the link:
>>
>>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-foo.txt
>>
>>with
>>
>>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-foot
>>
>>in IETF-Announcement messages?

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 20:29:50 +0200

Hi Russ,

> Is this request an easy change or a hard one?

If I can find out where the text is composed before addition to the
scheduled_announcements DB table, it's probably easy.  I've been
searching for this for a bit now, without success.  I have managed
to find code which is labelled as old unused with what appears to be
part of the template for this, but not any actual code which has
the template.

Glen, do you happen to know where this lives?

	Henrik

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Glen Barney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 11:53:46 -0700

I do not know.  I wonder if this is a secretariat cut-and-paste rather
than an in-code thing.

I'll ask them and let you know if I get any info on it.

:-)

Glen

---

From: Glen Barney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:04:25 -0700

The messages come from two places.  The ID Submission Tool sends one of
the messages out, via auto_post.cgi and status.cgi.  The Secretariat
Tool sends the other message out via EmailAnnouncement.cfm and
generatenotification.cfm.

We could change the text in the ColdFusion code rather easily.  However,
in the case of the ID Submission Tool, the variables used to generate
the email messages are also used for other things, and the code is not
particularly clear as to what is done where.

Since this is a wish, and not a crisis, and since new versions of both
systems are coming soon, I recommend holding this request and making
this change in the new code bases, rather than risking breakage now.

Glen

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:39:32 +0200

Hi Glen, Russ,

> this change in the new code bases, rather than risking breakage now.

Agreed.  If it was only the IDST I could change that, but coordinating
the changes of both at this time seems the wrong place to spend energy.

Best,

	Henrik