Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call 12 March 2010

From: Steve Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:58:45 -0800

As always, apologies for any mistakes:

-----

Tools Call 12 March 2010

Attendees:

Ray Pelletier
Bob Hinden
Magnus Westerlund
Pasi Eronen
Steve Conte
Russ Housley
Glen Barney
Henrik Lebkowitz
Alexa Morris

1.  Bash the Agenda

No Changes

2.  Database Redesign

HL: Converted all documents to new design with author info and group info and have been
working on tracing models that will use new information without changes other than the
model changes

Going well, not fully complete

Continuing to refine script which converts to new DB. Finding details that would be nice
to include, so conversion script is also developing

Sprint goal to code against new code/classes is still plausible

3.  IDIQ RFP

RP: Approved 3 vendors that will be able 

IOLA
Concentric Sky
Yakko?

Starting to build tasks

1st task is IOLA
2nd is WG Chair and Author specs (possibly May)

when will contracts be in place?
IAOC meeting on Mar 23rd in Anaheim
when will there be signed contracts?
End of March

IESG conversion may be able to start in April

4.  WG & Author Front End Specs RFP

RP: Chatter on list in regard to v(1 or 2), Ed doing that.
BoF in Anaheim
Final deliverable due May 3rd (and is actively being worked)

5.  Rolodex App Development Exercise

RP: (background) IAOC asked AMS to propose task order to begin sec tools to django
narrowed down to rolodex application.  AMS undergone learning experience by coding from
scratch and also using the admin interface from django

GB: Django is a programming app framework using Python.  One building block is the admin
interface, a codeset to rapidly deploy code to a DB.

Long discussions with Henrik.

Prior to admin interface, AMS had a programmer starting to rewrite the rolodex in django.
As it was being completed, HL and GB spoke about the admin interface.

AMS asked the programmer to do the rolodex again using the admin interface.

He was able to do rolodex in admin interface in 30% of the time.  Now have 2 rolodexes that
can be viewed side-by-side 

admin interface has some limitations, but provides for a much more rapid development of code

How much training to use the two apps?  Not significantly different.  Custom programming
allows for more percise interface.  Admin interface is uniform system, so once initial 
training is done, can be transferred to other applications

Admin interface not appropriate for everything

Everyone supports using it when appropriate.  Cost and long-term training savings

Meeting session scheduler is an example of something that wouldn't be appropriate to use
admin interface.

6.  Mission Critical Tools Transfer to Secretariat

idnits and rfcdiff

GB: idnits is staged on new server.  

http://www.ietf.org/tool/idnits

Henrik to briefly look at it then Alexa to announce that it's there for testing.

GB: Ready to take on rfcdiff tool after Anaheim, Henrik to send

7.  Datatracker UI Updates: Screen Scraping Concerns

PE: datatracker was deployed yesterday.  ~drafts1
Hope was to finish this out by Sprint

four-color square in agenda.  Highlights the line in a custom color and saves info in a 
cookie for the user

Old /drafts interface had a draftbyworkinggroup page that is useful, so it will be migrated

RP: How will this work continue without Pasi or Magnus
PE: doing a lot of documentation lately to support transition
RP: Will future codesprints take us from 1.0 to 2.0 or will become an RFP? (how to maintain
and evolve?)
HL: Pasi has been releasing as we've been going along, so it's just successive releases of 
Django and maintenance is not difference than the rest of the code base
RH: Will probably evolve on a feature-by-feature basis to sprint it or to RFP it

8.  Anaheim Codesprint
	- IPR related to RFC 5683

RH: (background) when someone submits an ipr statement against ID, the application tracks
that.  When draft is published, the IPR statements doesn't transfer to RFC number.  Should
it be automatic?  

PE: if you search for rfc or search for iprs, it does show the relation
example: http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5683/ and click "IPR disclosures"

HL: I think the fix could be to re-word this to
"    Search result on RFC5683, "Password-Authenticated Diffie-Hellman Exchange (PAK)"
    	No IPR disclosures directly on RFC 5683 have been submitted, but there
	are disclosures on draft-brusilovsky-pak that was later published as RFC5683."
	
RH: so it may be a wording issue only. Henrik to change wording and will be in next release
RH: Please notify Alexa so she can notify Yelstin after release

9. Conte Update

Sprint room is ready, but confusion on room (Lido A or Lido C).. Alexa to get clarity

- to continue deep inventory, send out before sprint

- chase Asia/Pac server for tools, send specs note to Robert Sparks to pass on to his 
colleague

10. Other Business

GB: Draft signing project: provided RFC to describe draft signing.  This will be signed by
the secretariat (human) with the intent of proving that the draft was actually received by 
secretariat.  Will not disrupt existing files, will be adding new signature files.  Will be 
ready soon after Anaheim

AMS had to extract data from old server to new server.  Since then AMS workign hard to clean
up but trying to simplify.  Has been 2 years since initial deployment and new versions of OS
out (OpenSuse).  All of AMS' other clients have gone virtual to consolidate and optimize.

Wants to upgrade to 11.1 (no cost), no hardware, done with existing resources and done slowly
and side by side.

Wants to semi-virtualize IETF.  Runs on 3 machines, 2 in Freemont: 1 production and 2 hot
backups.  GB wants to insert virtualization layer so that there will be better migration and 
easier to to replicate server

Performance impact of virtualization should be very low but server drives will be faster and 
have more RAM

-----
Steve Conte
[email-masked]