Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Notes from Today's tools call

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:44:54 -0400

These notes cover the Tools call on 9 October 2009.

Attendees: Russ, Alexa, Henrik, Ray, Glen, Steve.

1.  Database Redesign Update

Little progress since last tools call.  Some tables will be available
for the Code Sprint.  Expect that people will be able to code against
it in Hiroshima.

2.  Secretariat Tools for Redesigned DB

Secretariat will have to update their tools for the updated database
structure.  Ray has asked AMS for a proposal for this work.

The database redesign work must be finished before AMS can begin this
work.

3.  WG Chairs & Authors Front End

Ed Juskevicius will pick up the pen on the specification of Datatracker
support for working groups

Henrik pointed us to some incomplete work that was done a few years ago:
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-tracker-ext-03.txt

Good idea for Ed to attend the WG Chair lunch on Wednesday in Hiroshima.
He can tell the WG Chairs what is going on and make appointments with
interested WG Chairs.

4.  TLP 4.0 -
     Changes to accommodate Alternative Streams
     Timeline - December TLP 4.0 ready for adoption (Maybe)

Heads up that there may be updates to the TLP that require changes in
some tools, especially xml2rfc and idnits.

5.  Mission Critical Tools Transfer to Secretariat
     rfcdiff - install in another place in December
     idnits - install in another place in December

On track to make this happen.  Glen is ready.

6.  RFC Production Center and RFC Publisher to AMS - Volunteer Support

The contracts for RFC Production Center and RFC Publisher have been
signed.  Announcement will be made early next week.  AMS is looking for
continued support for tools that are currently used by ISI.

Some tools we know are used by ISI include:
   - ABNF syntax checker (http://tools.ietf.org/tools/bap/abnf.cgi)
   - rfcdiff
   - rfcmarkup
   - xml2rfc

Alexa will send the complete list to the tools mail list.

7.  Hiroshima Code Sprint

Steve Conte reports that room setup, power, and network are all set.

Breakfast will be at 9:00; coding will start at 9:30.

Focus on migration to Django 1.1 and test automation.  The
authentication and authorization approach requires the newer Django
framework.  Pasi documented the approach in an email message to the
tools list.

8.  Conte Update

Still working on a development server for Asia.

9.  Python IDIQ Contract (Draft being forwarded for review and feedback)

Draft RFP sent to the tools team prior to call.  Ray stepped through the
expected process.  Ray asked for comments on the RFP, with a focus on
making sure it is attractive  potential bidders.  Ray wants to make sure
we are asking for the right information to determine whether the bidder
is qualified.

Russ asked for comments no later than October 23rd.  Henrik and Steve
promised to read it.

It would be very good to identify a small project that can be done in
a few hours to demonstrate competence in python and Django, then we can
ask each bidder to submit their code.  The goal is to show competence
without making the task too big.  We do not want someone to refuse to
submit a proposal because the programming exercise takes too much time.
Each bidder should be given the same project to permit an apples-to-
apples comparison.  Henrik agreed to find a suitable programming task.

10. ID Submission tool

Henrik wrote new author extraction routines.  More of the original code
is in place than is desired.  Henrik hopes to continue cleanup during
the beta testing.  Henrik hopes the beta test can start in a week.

---

From: Karen Moreland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:04:18 -0700

Russ,
Just one correction, I have confirmed with Glen that we can begin the  
secretariat tools rewrite into Django before the database redesign is  
complete.  Just wanted to note this since under item #2 below it  
indicates that we cannot.
Karen

On Oct 9, 2009, at 8:44 AM, Russ Housley wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development
>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 16:09:25 -0400

I realize that some can, but the job cannot be finished.

Russ