Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Agenda: 11 Sept 2009

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:41:16 -0400

All;

A reminder of the call scheduled for 11 September at 10:00 EDT (UTC-4)  
on WebEx (details below).  I'll be on WebEx by 9:45 if you'd like to  
check out audio.

Draft Agenda:

1.  Database Redesign Update
2.  Table of Vol Tools and Next Steps
3.  List potential Mission Critical Tools & Services
4.  Hiroshima Code Sprint: To Do List
5.  Conte Update

Talk to you then!

Ray

Topic: Tools Cmte
Date: Friday, September 11, 2009
Time: 9:45 am, Eastern Time (New York, GMT-04:00)
Meeting Number: 967 057 620
Meeting Password: (This meeting does not require a password.)

1. Go to https://workgreen.webex.com/workgreen/j.php?ED=128371932&UID=1099779092&RT=MiMxMQ%3D%3D
2. Enter your name and email address.
3. Enter the meeting password: (This meeting does not require a  
password.)
4. Click "Join Now".

To view in other time zones or languages, please click the link:
https://workgreen.webex.com/workgreen/j.php?ED=128371932&UID=1099779092&ORT=MiMxMQ%3D%3D

-------------------------------------------------------
To join the audio conference only
-------------------------------------------------------
To receive a call back, provide your phone number when you join the  
meeting, or call the number below and enter the access code.
Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 866-699-3239
Call-in toll number (US/Canada): 1-408-792-6300
Global call-in numbers: https://workgreen.webex.com/workgreen/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=128371932&tollFree=1
Toll-free dialing restrictions: http://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf

Access code:967 057 620

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:08:01 -0400

I wanted to take a few minutes to capture the things that I heard on 
the call that took place on 11 Sept 2009 regarding the deployment of 
the database redesign.  I tried to capture the conclusions from the 
discussion and the actions that need to be taken.

1.  The database redesign is nearly complete.  The tables associated 
with the datatracker are stable enough for design work to begin, and 
in some cases it already has begun.

2.  After a discussion of the various deployment approaches, it 
became clear that the IESG datatracker needs to be rewritten for 
there to be a smooth transition.  The IESG datatracker is currently a 
collection of perl scripts with embedded SQL command to perform 
database queries and updates.  The public-facing datatracker used to 
be a collection of perl scripts too, but it was already rewritten 
using the Django framework.  That rewrite was needed to close some 
serious security holes.  The best way forward is to merge the IESG 
datatracker and the public-facing datatracker, so that both use the 
Djando framework and a common data model.  It is the common data 
model that will facilitate the incremental transition to the new 
database structure.  This project is too big for a code sprint 
effort, so a contractor will be needed.

3.  There are also many tools used by the Secretariat that use the 
database.  The Secretariat can make their own decisions about the 
best way for them to transition their own tools to the new database 
structure.  However, it should be pointed out that the Djando admin 
interface will probably eliminate the need for some of the Secretariat tools.

4.  The merge of the IESG datatracker and the public-facing 
datatracker requires an authorization model.  The model needs to 
accommodate read access from anyone, write access from the IESG 
members, and write access from the Secretariat.  However, we should 
not be short-sighted.  Plans for WG chair support, RFC Editor 
support, and IANA support should all be considered.  The 
authorization model needs to be sorted out in the next few weeks.

5.  The merge of the IESG datatracker and the public-facing 
datatracker doe not have to keep the user interface exactly as it is 
today.  This is an opportunity for minor improvements; the 
improvements must not significantly impact the project.

6.  The IAOC will be asked to start the process to hire a qualified 
contractor as soon as the authorization model is sorted out.  The 
process might be able to start before then, but potential contractors 
cannot offer estimates without this information.

7.  Some members of the Tools Team are needed to answer questions for 
the contractor regarding the existing code, existing database, and 
new database.  Some members of the Tools Team are also needed to 
perform QA on the contractor's deliverables.