Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Working Group Web Pages

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:03:17 -0400

At IETF 75 the IESG and Secretariat discussed a redesign of the 
Working Group Web Pages.  This is the next step in the IETF Web Site 
redesign.  It was observed that many of the cool improvements that 
were discussed are already available on tools.ietf.org.  Where 
possible, I would like to reuse any code that was developed for 
tools.ietf.org.  Does anyone see any problems?

Russ

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:30:44 -0400

Henrik:

>I'd love to write the Django code to set up working group pages equivalent
>to the tools ones on the datatracker, but I'd hate to start doing that
>before the database redesign is in place...

I do not want the many other improvements that can be made to these 
pages to block on the database update.  We may need to get there in 
two (or more) steps.

Russ

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:44:46 +1200

On 2009-08-12 06:03, Russ Housley wrote:
> At IETF 75 the IESG and Secretariat discussed a redesign of the Working
> Group Web Pages.  This is the next step in the IETF Web Site redesign. 
> It was observed that many of the cool improvements that were discussed
> are already available on tools.ietf.org.  Where possible, I would like
> to reuse any code that was developed for tools.ietf.org.  Does anyone
> see any problems?

Not as a matter of principle, assuming the appropriate open source license
applies. I do think that the home page for a WG page should look more
like the current charter page than like http://tools.ietf.org/wg/behave/,
since a first-time user needs the basics. Also for non-participant
users, the list of published RFCs is a more important resource than
the lists of milestones and current drafts. So there is some tearing
apart and reassembly of the charter page needed anyway.

Parctical question, would the wiki stuff stay on the tools servers?

   Brian

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:04:35 -0400

>Parctical question, would the wiki stuff stay on the tools servers?

I have not heard anyone suggest that it should be moved.  What's your 
thought in raising the question?

Russ

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:29:34 +1200

> thought in raising the question?

I have no argument for moving it. The login arrangements on the tools servers
seem to work well, and I had a slight concern that moving that setup to
the main site would be complicated. Not moving it seems easier!

    Brian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 23:25:17 +0200

Hi Russ,

> tools.ietf.org.  Does anyone see any problems?

The code for the tools page is available, but it assumes a completely
different flat-file organization of the information, rather than the
database back-end, and it uses inline html, rather than Django's
separate html-template, view-logic code and database-model separation.

Best,

	Henrik