Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tabular tools overview

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 16:26:08 +0200

Hi,

Here is a tabular tools overview, extracted from the current control files:

    http://shiraz.tools.ietf.org/tools/table

I've not gone over the control files for other authors' tools, so the version
information and other details for those may not be correct.  I've also not yet
updated the control files to match what Lucy and I discussed earlier in the
thread on control file content, will start on that next.

Comments welcome.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 07:33:00 -0400

Henrik,
This is interesting.  Thank you.

1.  I am not able to discern a sort order.  Is there one, or is there  
one that suggests itsef?

2.  It's not obvious to me (and it could be because I don't use them)  
what part of the process from I-D, to IESG review, to RFC, or perhaps,  
who the users are where each of these tools belong.  Is there a  
grouping that makes sense?

Ray

On May 8, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 18:59:49 +0200

Hi Ray,

> 1.  I am not able to discern a sort order.  Is there one, or is there  

The tools are grouped by 'category', but not otherwise sorted.

> grouping that makes sense?

The same as above, I think -- grouped by 'category'.  This indicates
the usage category for the tool.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to try to classify most of the
tools as belonging to one particular part of the process.  Take idnits
-- it's used before the first submit of a draft, and all the way to an
ADs review of a draft after it has been submitted to the IESG for
publication.  Or the html-docs tool, or the rfcdiff-tool -- they are
applied to the earliest drafts and all the way up to published RFC.

The 'category by user role' I've grouped by is one of the more meaningful
I've found.  (I'm sure there are others which haven't occurred to me,
though.)

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 09:29:13 +0200

> thread on control file content, will start on that next.

So to me on a first glance there appear to be at least three tools on
that list that are critical and for which there doesn't appear to exist
any easy alternatives for:

id-submission
idnits
rfcdiff

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Lucy Lynch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 13:54:07 -0700 (PDT)

> I've found.  (I'm sure there are others which haven't occurred to me,

Henrik -

Nice! I see in a recent update you've added some color coding...
whats the distinction between pink and blue?

- Lucy

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 22:56:05 +0200

> any easy alternatives for:

I've added 'Ietf: Critical' to these.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 23:05:15 +0200

Hi Lucy,

> whats the distinction between pink and blue?

No significance, just alternating between the different categories.

I'll modify to give less appearance of siginificance to the colour...

	Henrik