Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] [Fwd: IETF-74 Codesprint information]

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:05:02 +0200

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: IETF-74 Codesprint information
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:59:19 -0700
From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
To: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
CC: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Hi Russ,

Here is some data on the IETF-74 codesprint
(http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/IETF74Sprint):

We had 15 people signed up, and have so far made 5 releases thisn
week, based on work completed during this codesprint, and we expect
to make a couple of more releases.

The work was focused on writing django-based code to replace the old
scripts which access the database tables directly.  Getting rid of
those will make it possible to change, and redesign the database, which
is pretty much impossible right now.

We've now converted 8 out of 19 scripts, according to the status page
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/IETF73SprintLegacyScriptsDocumentation

We've also integrated a major contribution from Bill Fenner, which
provides an authentication framework which lets us 
  * import old accounts and passwords into Django's native
    authentication (preventing disruption when moving password-protected
    services)
  * provides a user-accessible password reset, and the possibility of
    using the same password for all services which require logging in
    (potentially including tools.ietf.org and rfc-editor.org logins)
  * lets us build all kinds of new applications which require login,
    while retaining people's old logins.  We've seen this as a must
    before extending the ID-tracker to for instance provide WG-chair
    support tools.

People:
-------

(Taken from the sign-up page:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/IETF74SprintSignUp)

	Robert Sparks
	Henrik Levkowetz
	Lars Eggert
	Blessings Msowoya
	Pasi Eronen
	Adam Roach
	Ben Campbell
	Arifumi Matsumoto
	Paul Hoffman
	Richard Barnes
	Dean Willis
	Jari Arkko
	Tero Kivinen
	Chris Newman
	Aaron Stone

Releases:
---------

This information is probably way too detailed to use for your slides,
but here it is, for completeness.  It's taken from the changelog:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/branch/2.00/changelog)

ietfdb (2.23)

  * Fixed a wrong link in the html agenda (from Henrik)

  * Removed the explicit database server ip address in settings.py
    (from Henrik)

  * Integrated updated authorization system.  This requires applying
    database fixups as follows:

	cd /a/www/ietf-datatracker/2.23/ietf
	python manage.py dbshell < ../test/sql_fixup.sql

    The existing htpasswd file can be imported into this new system
    as follows:

	export PYTHONPATH=/a/www/ietf-datatracker/2.23
	export DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=ietf.settings
	/a/www/ietf-datatracker/2.23/ietf/bin/import-users /a/www/htpasswd

    Please capture the output of the import-users script, as it will
    help us resolve any troubles that users have.

  * Fixed infinite loop in wrapping code that prevented display of certain
    document comments

 -- Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>  24 Mar 2009 17:48:12 PDT

ietfdb (2.22)

  * Fixed the menubar nomcom link.

  * Merged in Chris' django-based replacement for the old perl-based
    WG overview page, the 1wg-summary.txt and 1wg-summary-by-acronym.txt
    pages.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  22 Mar 2009 2:22:09 +0100

ietfdb (2.21)

  * Merged in Adams django-based replacement for the old perl-based
    nomcom announcement pages.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  22 Mar 2009 1:09:00 +0100

ietfdb (2.20)

  * Merged in Roberts django-based replacement for the old perl script 
    generating all_id.txt

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  22 Mar 2009 0:20:03 +0100

ietfdb (2.19)

  * Merged in code from Pasi containing auxiliary tables and support scripts
    for his new document meta-information pages.

  * Merged in code from Pasi for a machine-readable list of documents on the
    next iesg-agenda.

  * ** To deploy this release, the Django db sync command has to be run
    (python .../ietf/manage.py syncdb) and the cron scripts which fetch
    information from the RFC-editor and tools.ietf.org has to be set up
    to run **

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  21 Mar 2009 22:33:07 +0100