Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] [Fwd: ID Tracker Tools Re-Write Proposal]

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:34:40 -0400

All;
For reference this is the original request for a proposal.

Ray

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	ID Tracker Tools Re-Write Proposal
Date: 	Mon, 16 Apr 2007 04:02:34 -0400
From: 	Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
To: 	Lindberg, Jon <[email-masked]>, IETF Administrative 
Director <[email-masked]>

Jon,

The IAOC is interested in evaluating what it would mean to pursue a  
rewrite of the ID Tracker tools using an open source framework. The  
goal of this effort would be to separate the interface from the  
business backend and end up with a more secure, modular and  
maintainable piece of code.

Django (as described at http://www.djangoproject.com/ and http:// 
www.djangobook.com/en/beta/) offers such functionality. Given that  
there is solid expertise in the tool team we would like to request  NSS 
to base their evaluation on this particular tool albeit we  wouldn't 
mind a proposal based on other frameworks.

As such, the purpose of this message is to request NSS develop a 
proposal to re-write the ID Tracker, in accordance with the above.  Part 
(but not all) of the IAOC's motivation for this request is our 
understanding that you will be investing 50 hours of time to implement 
fixes to the current tools.

We assume fulfilling this request might require the assistance of 
outside contractors for training and design purposes.  To facilitate 
this, we request that you meet with Bill Fenner for a demonstration of 
some work he has recently accomplished using Django, and then discuss 
how Django could be leveraged for a re-write of the IT Tracker tools. 
Please note that Bill is on vacation until April 19th.  In addition, we 
also request that you invite Henrik's participate in this.  The IAOC 
would like to ask Henrik to assist with architectural aspects of the 
design, as a representative of the IETF community.

Parameters:

1. The intent of rewriting the ID Tracker tools using an open  source 
framwork (e.g. Django) is to improve security, to enable more 
cost-effective enhancements and maintenance of the tools in the future.  
As such, no changes to the scope, functionality or interfaces of the 
current tool set will be required  in the initial re-write.

2. Design specifications and design documentation will be expected as 
part of this project.

Please advise on when the IAOC can expect a proposal to do the above. 
Please also note that the IAOC will appreciate your feedback on expected 
scope, costs and duration of the current repair job, if that were to 
proceed instead of a re-write

Ray

_______________________________________________
TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development