Subject: [Techspec] Additional comment on draft-mankin-pub-req-08

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:19:01 +0100

I appreciate that the last call is strictly over, but one extra point 
came to mind when considering draft-iab-rfc-editor-00.

The requirements in draft-mankin split into two parts:
- Those that are specific to the IETF document 'stream' - most;y the 
'front end' of the process
- Those that apply mainly to the back end of the process and are 
relevant to any documents that are published by the RFC Editor

For convenience when specifying requirements for IAB and IRTF documents 
etc it would be helpful if the two types of requirements were split into 
separate sections for easier cross referencing.

I have suggested the sections in section 3 which appear to apply 
specifically to the IETF stream (marked S in the list below), whereas 
the others are generic (marked G).  A small amount of swapping of 
section order would give the required result, I believe:

S   1. Pre-approval review or editing

G   2. Preliminary specification availability

S   3. Post-approval editorial cleanup

G   4. Validation of references

G   5. Validation of formal languages

G?   6. Insertion of parameter values

S   7. Post approval, pre-publication corrections

G   8. Allocation of permanent stable identifiers

G   9. Document format conversions

G   10.Language translation

G   11.Publication status tracking

S   12.Expedited handling

G   13.Exception handling

G   14.Notification of publication

G   15.Post-publication corrections (errata)

G   16.Indexing: maintenance of the catalog
 
G   17.Access to published documents

G   18.Maintenance of a vocabulary document

G   19.Providing publication statistics and status reports

G   20.Process and document evolution

G?   21.Tutorial and help services

I am not absolutely sure whether sections 6 and 21 are generic - the 
tutorual and help could be considered to be specific especially with 
respect to help desk provision at IETF meetings but it is applicable to 
all documents.

Regards,
Elwyn

_______________________________________________
Techspec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/techspec