Subject: Re: [Techspec] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-mankin-pub-req-03.txt

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:41:41 -0800 (PST)

*> >>
  *> >>I *assume* individual submissions that go to an AD
  *> >>are considered IETF technical specifications (otherwise,
  *> >>why is the IESG spending time on them?).
  *> >>

Once again, with feeling:

To avoid confusion, the RFC Editor uses the term "individual
submission" for a non-working group document that goes through the
IESG, shepherded by an AD, and arrives at the RFC Editor as an IETF
submission.  We use "independent submission", aka "RFC Editor
submissions", for a document that goes directly to the RFC Editor for
approval, independent of the IETF process.

We would like to suggest that using any other terminology at this
point would be enormously confusing.

RFC Editor/bb

_______________________________________________
Techspec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/techspec

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:05:22 +0100

> point would be enormously confusing.

Bob, I agree, but it's easy to accidentally transpose "individual"
and "independent".

     Brian