Subject: Re: [Techspec] SPI: Comments on techspec from a user perspective

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:02:53 -0700

[I've added the label, SPI, for stable permanent
identifier, to the subject line - should have that
in my previous message too.]

Stephen,

I may still not quite understand the question, but I think
the answer is that to get a stable permanent identifier a document
has to have stable permament identifiers for all of its
normative references as well.

This is complicating but not devastating.  First,
the document shepherds need to pay attention to the status of
documents that are normative, paring them to just the ones that
actually do matter and making sure those are making progress
(ideally making sure they are complete or nearly complete,
because if they're going to change a lot, your technology
may be on shifting ground).

Bill Fenner developed a tool that creates daily visual maps of
the normative dependency webs for every working group.  These
are easy to find linked from the pages at:

 tools.ietf.org/wg/<wgacronym>/

Allison

_______________________________________________
Techspec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/techspec