Subject: RE: [Techspec] publication times & stable identifiers

From: "Stephen Hayes (TX/EUS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:38:38 -0500

Leslie and all,

I have a bit of a difficult time separating the requirement on publication time from "how fast do we think we can really do it".

Paul's analysis is correct.  Within IETF it seems to be an issue of creeping instability as the publication time increases.  External SDOs are asynchronous so the complaints increases proportionally to the delay in publication.  There are no hard deadlines, it is more an issue of how fast are you willing to pay for and organize for.

Note that even though 3GPP can achieve fast publication by relying on support staff, this does not mean IETF can.  3GPP membership is composed of companies and these companies have the resources to respond in a timely manner to questions and editing requests.  This may not be possible when the involved parties are volunteer individuals.

Regards, Stephen

> 1/ Requirement on time from approval to publication
> 

> I'd like to hear what we think is the *requirement* for the *IETF*
> in terms of publication times -- is it as it stands now in
> the text?  Or is there a specific timeframe in which it is
> required (for purposes of implementation, interaction with other
> SDOs, etc).  I'd like to explicitly leave aside the discussion of
> "how fast do we think we can really do it" for the moment.
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
Techspec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/techspec

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:08:45 -0700

At 1:38 PM -0500 10/27/05, Stephen Hayes (TX/EUS) wrote:
>Note that even though 3GPP can achieve fast publication by relying 
>on support staff, this does not mean IETF can.  3GPP membership is 
>composed of companies and these companies have the resources to 
>respond in a timely manner to questions and editing requests.  This 
>may not be possible when the involved parties are volunteer 
>individuals.

The current RFC Editor is paid under a contract with ISOC; they are 
not volunteers.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium