Subject: [tcpPrague] An L4S AQM proposal at IRTF/ACM ANRW 2020

From: Sándor Laki <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 09:56:33 +0200

Dear All,

we presented an alternative L4S AQM proposal at ANRW 2020 few weeks ago. 
In this study, we assume that different CCs (even scalable ones) require 
different congestion signal intensities, and thus applying the same 
ECN-marking  probability leads to significant unfairness in these cases. 
E.g., BBRv2 also implements a DCTCP-like scalable mechanism, but it is 
more "aggressive" than DCTCP (using default settings). Another problem 
we realized is that BBR's model-based CC could be misled by the AQM - 
also leading to flow unfairness. As a conclusion, this heterogeneity can 
only be handled by additional mechanisms like FQ or additional packet 
marking. Our proposal marks each packet of a flow with a value 
expressing the contribution of the packet in the total throughput of the 
flow. The AQM maintains simple value thresholds, leading to different 
ECN-marking ratios of the different flows without flow-states or 
per-flow queues.

The paper and the talk is available at 
http://ppv.elte.hu/cc-independent-l4s/

Cheers,
Sandor

-- 
Sándor Laki, PhD
Assistant professor
Department of Information Systems
Eötvös Loránd University
Pázmány Péter stny. 1/C
H-1117, Budapest, Hungary
Room 2.506
Web: http://lakis.web.elte.hu
Phone: +36 1 372 2869 / 8477
Cell: +36 70 374 2646

-- 
Ezt az e-mailt az Avast víruskereső szoftver átvizsgálta.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus