Subject: [tcpPrague] Another requirement that L4S/TCPPrague depends on

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:20:38 +0100

Marcelo,

We need to add this I-D to the list of requirements that TCP Prague will 
have to depend on - in the L4S Problem Statement (assuming it could turn 
into an L4S architecture draft).

A Mechanism for ECN Path Probing and Fallback
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-ecn-fallback-01

Just asked one of the authors (Mirja). She says it has some wrong stuff 
in it, so it will need updating quite a bit anyway.
And it will need to be updated wrt L4S changes.

The probing and fall-back logic relevant to AccECN is already in 
draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn, which will have to be a prerequisite for 
L4S in TCP.

Nonetheless, this draft is broader than AccECN, and broader than L4S:
* It ought to cover any transport, not just TCP.
* And even in the case of TCP, it covers Classic ECN
* and even in the case of TCP Prague, it would cover the fall-back 
behaviour of the sending handler (at either end of a TCP connection), 
because that was ruled out of scope for AccECN.

Bob

-- 
________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/