Subject: question about basic resources for new TCP implementation

From: [email-masked] (Steve Jones)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:40:03 -0700

Hi, I'm developing a new implementation of TCP for an embedded firmware
operating environment.  Vern Paxson pointed me to this email address as a
possible source of information, should I have clarification questions about
the RFCs, or if there might be implementation notes.  I've got commercial
protocol development experience already, but not TCP.

I'm not sure if this is an email list that goes to implementors or if it is
something else.  I would be grateful if someone listening might be able to
provide a summary pointer to resources that are available.  Vern recommended
TCP/IP Illustrated Vols 1 & 2, which I have.  If anyone might have a pointer
to a general FAQ about TCP implementation issues, or about the possible use
of this email address, would you please let me know?

Then, I would like to ask someone who already has implementation experience
about how to interpret a couple points in RFC 793.  Is this email address
the forum for such questions?

Thanks very much for your help; I will appreciate all that you can offer.

Sincerely,
Steve Jones
Founder & CTO
General Software, Inc.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GENERAL SOFTWARE, INC.
11000 NE 33rd Place, Suite 102
Bellevue, WA  98004  USA
Tele:  425 576-8300
Fax:  425 576-8334
http://www.gensw.com
Embedded BIOS[tm], Firmbase[r], General Software[r] Trademarks of General
Software, Inc.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:03:34 -0400

Hi Steve:

This list can certainly help.  The other list than can help a lot is
End2End-Interest ([email-masked]).  I think the vast
majority of people who have implemented a TCP from scratch and still care
about TCP are on that list...

Craig

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:46:39 -0700

Craig Partridge wrote:
> End2End-Interest ([email-masked]).

FYI: it's just [email-masked]

(-request is for administrative requests, i.e., me :-)

Joe