Subject: XXX-implementors?

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:17:07 GMT

I have an organizational question.  This mailing list concerns the
implementation of TCP.  Is there another mailing list for implementation
issues of SCTP?  I can imagine that there might be some overlap, e.g.,
in congestion control issues; should this mailing list be tsv-impl
instead of tcp-impl??

Bob Braden

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:05:13 -0700

Bob,

The tsvwg reflector ([email-masked]) actively provides feedback on SCTP as
there are several outstanding related documents still in process.  There
appears to be a desire to introduce many of the framing like features of
SCTP into TCP by those wishing to incorporate in high level NICs either
iSCSI or iWARP applications.  This may suggest a common reflector would be
desired.  SCTP and TCP should ensure network fairness if algorithms change.

These TCP (SCTP like) features are:

 - Aligned placement headers with isolated verification/placement/integrity
checks used to handle internal routing of data payloads checked on the fly.

 - Implied TCP framing verification.  (Would a dual CRC (header/payload)
provide needed error checks against framing loss?)

 - TLV bundling of objects for maximal packet size, or will small packets at
> 1Gb/s data rates not be a concern?

If modifications of TCP move forward, then the difference between TCP and
SCTP grows small and yet differences in implementation may provide
justification such as:

 - Should TCP be optimized for Ethernet or InfiniBand for future data rates.

Doug