Subject: Re: DF and IP ID

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:42:36 -0400 (EDT)

> I've seen discussions about some PPPoE equipment used for frame relay
> which either clears DF or fragments packets even if DF was set.  This
> "feature" was viewed as needed since some senders of packets with DF
> bit set sit behind firewalls that discard all ICMP packets.

Um, surely the correct fix, when faced with a broken site, is to get it
fixed, not to break other software to "fix" it?

Yes, it's annoying.  I'm behind a low-MTU link and relatively often see
what I have been calling "the won't frag disease" - indeed, one of my
own connectivity provider's websites has it.  But "fixing" brokenness
by breaking something else only encourages that brokenness, by avoiding
the penalty that usually accompanies brokenness.

Not that you people on this list *can* fix all such brokenness even if
you agree with me.  But I don't see it as reason for us to care about
it and try to spec around it, any more than a (hypothetical, as far as
I know) site that dropped anything to an even port number would make it
appropriate to assign only odd port numbers.

					der Mouse

			       [email-masked]
		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: "David L. Nicol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:30:53 -0500

der Mouse wrote:

> own connectivity provider's websites has it.

sounds like you need a tunnel peer.  Most public tunnel peers are set
up towards anonymity, but that is not a problem

-- 
                          David Nicol 816.235.1187 [email-masked]
                "After jotting these points down, we felt better."