Subject: Re: Send window update algorithm ...

From: Ramesh Shankar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 08:27:55 -0600

That's exactly correct.

Thanks,

S.R.

Kacheong Poon wrote:
> 
> > I knew you would say this :-)). If you were doing "keep alive" style
> > window probes, you would run into the problem that I mentioned. I
> > personally don't like the 1-byte window probe scheme.
> 
> On a second thought, I guess by keep alive style, you mean sending a fake
> byte or use old sequence number to send the zero window probe.  Do I guess
> correctly?
> 
>                                                         K. Poon.
>                                                         [email-masked]

---

From: venkat venkatsubra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 12:12:08 -0500

While on SND.WL1 and SND.WL2 on BSD implementations, shouldn't these
need to be updated in the Header Prediction path too ? Otherwise, when
the sequence number wraps around - for example on a data transfer 
of > 2GBytes, and if the receiver slows down and you go into tcp slow 
path processing, window updates are not going to be picked up. And you
will start sending 1 byte packets (window probes). Atleast the 4.4 BSD 
code explained in the TCP/IP Illustrated Vol.2 (Wright & Stevens) 
doesn't do it. Does something prevent this problem from happening ?
Linux may not have this problem.
Thanks!

Venkat