Subject: Basic Query

From: Proneet biswas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:37:00 -0700

Hi,
   I had a very basic question.Can TCP resend segments which have more
data than the original one
   and if yes, how common is this scenario ?

Thanks.
Proneet.

---

From: Manish Thakur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 14:21:22 +0530

Hi,
this is very much a possibility. Retransmit does not imply that the same
segment has to be retransmited, when the retransmit timer expires the
snd.nxt is brought to snd.una and it forms a segment from the unacked data
in the send buffer. This is the line most implementations take.

manish

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:17:05 +0100 (BST)

> data than the original one

Yes

>    and if yes, how common is this scenario ?

Unknown, but I see it in traces

---

From: Ramesh Shankar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:19:55 -0600

The most trivial case would be with an application sending small
segments with Nagle disabled. A fast retransmit/retransmit would send
more data than was sent by the original segment.