Subject: RE: Anomalous TCP behaviour?

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:03:19 -0600

Anupama, are you measuring this on the sending system, the receiving system,
or somewhere in between? Just curious.

(Once the packets leave the sending system, they can be dropped due to link
errors or checksum errors, for instance, so your measurement system may not
be seeing these errored packets.)

Spencer

-----Original Message-----
From: Anupama Sundaresan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2000 10:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Anomalous TCP behaviour?

Hello,

	Is it normal for TCP to skip a certain number of bytes and send
them later when it receives dup acks?

---

From: Anupama Sundaresan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:47:42 -0600 (CST)

The tcpdump o/p was taken at the eth0 interface of the transmitter. That
was the reason I was baffled by the missing segment. I am still not
convinced about why packets should be dropped at the transmitting end even
before they come to the ethernet interface. If this were at the receiving
end the behaviour of TCP is perfectly justified.

Thanks,
-anu.