Subject: [Secdispatch] Consideration of draft-mavrogiannopoulos-pkcs8-validated-parameters

From: "RFC ISE (Adrian Farrel)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:02:49 -0700

Hi SECDispatch,

I'm the Independent Submissions Editor, and I have a couple of questions
you could help me with.

draft-mavrogiannopoulos-pkcs8-validated-parameters has been proposed for
publication as an Independent Submission RFC. Along the way it was briefly
discussed on the SAAG list where (my interpretation) there was no
objection, but also no enthusiasm.

During the IESG conflict review (cf. RFC 5742), the AD asked that the draft
be considered by SECDispatch. I think the questions to be asked are:

- Is this work that a body of people want to bring into the IETF to polish
and publish? In other words, would *you* like to help work on the draft
and find a venue in the IETF to do that work (here, a new WG, AD
sponsored, ...)?

- Is the proposed approach harmful in any way (especially to
implementations of 5208 or 5958)?

- Does the proposed extension constitute a security vulnerability of
itself that is a cause for concern to anyone?

We are somewhat used to 2 week review periods but owing to the unusual
nature of this request and the run up to IETF-102 I suggest a four week
period to make any determination. So please send your thought by Monday
16th July (which also gives you a chance to find me in person in
Montreal). I've asked the chairs to help with any consensus calls should
they prove necessary.

Many thanks,
Adrian
-- 
Adrian Farrel (ISE),
[email-masked]